World News

Sudanese Prime Minister reinstated Hamdok promises democratic path | Opposition Articles

[ad_1]

The newly installed Sudanese Prime Minister Abdulla Hamdok has promised to establish a “professional government” made up of qualified experts who will lead the country on the path to democracy for about a month after the coup.

In an interview with Al Jazeera, Hamdok – who was fired by the military on October 25 but was reinstated as Prime Minister later. signing a contract On Sunday, Sudan’s prime minister called for a halt to a change of civilian rule – he said the new government would be independent.

Hamdok said the new minister is looking forward to setting up a constitutional referendum and holding elections by June 2023, to end “democratic change and its values”.

“You all know that [holding] elections will take at least a year and a half, “he said just hours after signing a political agreement with General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan.

Hamdok was detained by the military for several weeks. The military overthrew its ministers and detained a number of civilians who held senior positions in a power-sharing deal that was agreed upon following the ousting of former dictator Omar al-Bashir in 2019.

The 14-point agreement between Hamdok and the military, signed at the Presidential Palace in Khartoum on Sunday, also provides for the release of all prisoners detained during the riots and says the 2019 official announcement is the basis for a political change, details read on state television.

These attacks have caused a great deal of opposition. Sudanese people have been marching on the streets since the occupation, which led to the country’s transition to democracy.

About 41 people attended murder in disputes with the police since the coup, as security forces have sometimes used demonstrations to disperse protesters.

Hamdok promised to launch an independent investigation into the killings and violations of the law, and said the agreement was signed to “prevent further bloodshed”.

‘True freedom’

Hamdok told Al Jazeera that the treaty ensures that the Prime Minister has the “power and authority” to create an independent and professional state “in full freedom and without coercion”.

However, it is not yet clear how much power the incoming government will have.

The appointment of cabinet ministers must be approved by the Sovereign Council, headed by al-Burhan.

Proponents of her case have been working to make the actual transcript of this statement available online. They also refused any form of negotiation or cooperation with the military.

The Forces of Freedom and Change (FFC) civilian alliance, which has been sharing power with the military, has said it does not accept any alliance with the military.

The Sudanese Professionals Association (SPA) on Sunday also rejected a political alliance.

Although many do not agree with the development, Hamdok said he signed the agreement because he was guided by the “responsibilities” placed on his shoulders.

“I have changed my mind and signed this political agreement, although I know that many can oppose, oppose, or reject because the people’s interests and aspirations were high,” he said.

A former UN economist has said he has no “personal ambitions” to remain a leader through the transition period, and has no interest in joining any party or group.

“I reiterate that I have no value, otherwise I would not have accepted the office and its challenges over the past two years,” Hamdok said.

Cameron Hudson, a former US ambassador to Sudan, said protests could now take place against the military and Hamdok following the agreement.

The agreement was a “serious disagreement with the Prime Minister,” Hudson told Al Jazeera, as it confirms the so-called “bad behavior” by the conspiracy.

“Protesters have every right to be concerned about the message that this is sending to the world and to hope for democratic change,” he said.

So far, several countries have ratified the treaty.

United States Secretary of State Antony Blinken said his country was “strengthened” by the treaty, but warned officials not to use excessive force to block protests.

“I am encouraged by reports that the talks in Khartoum will lead to the release of all political prisoners, the reinstatement of Prime Minister Hamdok, the removal of the state of emergency, and the resumption of cooperation,” Blinken wrote on Twitter.

“I reiterate our call for security forces to refrain from using excessive force against peace activists,” he said.



[ad_2]

Source link

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button