The doctor said he was overseen by a boat full of violence, the Saudi Ministry of Defense said.
Saudi Arabia says it has sailed a warship from the Red Sea coast of Yanbu after naval security agencies reported “unconfirmed reports” of an attack on a ship in the region.
The Saudi Ministry of Defense did not say if there had been any damage as a result of the Saudi military’s efforts to protect and destroy the remote naval boat on Tuesday.
The Saudi Press Agency quoted Saudi military spokesman Turki al-Maliki as saying: “The captured boat was built and destroyed in accordance with the terms of the treaty.”
Security company Dryad Global has previously said it has received “unconfirmed reports” that the ship, possibly the NCC Dammam oil tanker of the Saudi company in Bahri, was shot down in Yanbu.
Chief executive Abdullah Aldubaikhi told Reuters news agency that not all ships of the National Shipping Company of Saudi Arabia (Bahri) had been attacked.
Neptune P2P Group also reported that black smoke was billowing from the southern entrance of Yanbu port.
Ambry British navy also spoke of the incident and said smoke was seen coming out of the ship. Yanbu’s port management is spreading the word by VHF naval radio, warning ships to increase their interest and monitor any suspicions, says Ambrey.
The United Kingdom Maritime Trade Operations (UKMTO) said it was aware of reports of about 2 nautical miles from Yanbu and that investigations were ongoing.
More was needed, but this came after a series of violent protests erupted in the Middle East during the ongoing Iran-Israel war and in the aftermath of talks between Tehran and international powers to resume the 2015 nuclear deal.
Yanbu, 870 km (540 miles) west of Riyadh, is the last major pipeline in the East-West. It allows the crude oil dumped in its eastern gardens to be shipped directly through the Red Sea, to avoid Gulf chokepoint in the Strait of Hormuz.
Yanbu also has an oil tanker that can process 400,000 barrels a day.
Ships have been submerged in the Red Sea.
In December, Saudi Arabia reported that a ship carrying the Jeddah port had been struck by a boat full of violence. This followed another incident in another part of Saudi Arabia at the Red Sea when a submarine was damaged and exploded.
The Saudi-led military alliance operating in Yemen in the past has thwarted attempts by using full-blown boats allegedly instigated by Iranian Houthi militants.
The Houthis justified the invasion of Saudi Arabia by claiming that they were retaliating against Riyadh’s invasion of troops that had caused trouble in Yemen.
Saudi Arabia’s security ministry has said it has investigated the source of Tuesday’s “attempts”.