France resumes military operations in Mali | News of Burkina Faso

[ad_1]
France suspended the project earlier last month following West Africa’s second coup in less than a year.
France has announced a resumption of hostilities in Mali stop they earlier last month followed a second West African invasion in less than a year.
Following a series of talks with Malian and regional regulators in the region, France “decided to resume military support and advisory work, which had been suspended since June 3”, the military minister said in a statement on Friday.
The decision to suspend the operation came after Mali’s military, Assimi Goita, who led a coup last year, ousted the country’s president and prime minister.
This led to unrest, prompting the United States to suspend security assistance from Mali’s security agencies as well as the African Union and the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) to suspend Mali.
Mali and France play a key role in the war on the terrorist attacks that plague the Sahel.
France has about 5,100 troops in the Sahel led by Barkhane in five countries – Burkina Faso, Chad, Mali, Mauritania and Niger.
June 10, French President Emmanuel Macron he announced the massive destruction of the presence of French troops in the Sahel where the military has been fighting rebel groups for almost a decade.
Macron said the work done in Barkhane would end, with France’s presence as part of a group called Takuba around the world where “hundreds” of French troops form the backbone.
The Takuba army is now home to about 600 soldiers, half of whom are French.
[ad_2]
Source link



