Pro-government militants have left the port city, saying they are resuming operations in accordance with the 2018 ceasefire agreement.
Allied forces loyal to the internationally acclaimed Yemeni government have left Hodeidah, allowing Houthi militants to retake more power there, Yemeni officials and the United Nations have said.
Joint Forces government forces, established and maintained by the United Arab Emirates, said late Friday they also sent troops away from Hodeidah because there had been a ceasefire agreement since 2018.
“The armed forces have realized the mistake of staying in the barracks, unable to fight under international cooperation, when the front lines need help,” he said in a statement.
The UN Security Council has said it has not been notified of the withdrawal of troops and that pro-governmental groups withdrew from their base in Hodeidah, where they are heading for Yemen and aid, as well as south of the city, to allow terrorists to take over. .
On Saturday, security officials and residents said the Houthis had gathered a number of people they said were supporting the government.
Meanwhile, some pro-government troops left in the Hodeidah state have retaliated against the Houthi coup in the south of the city, officials said. At least three government supporters, including a military commander, were killed, he added.
Officials spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak to the press, and they did so out of fear of retaliation.
War broke out in Hodeidah in mid-2018 after government troops with the help of an alliance entered to seize the Houthis port. After months of disputes, the warring parties signed a ceasefire agreement in December of that year and agreed to exchange more than 16,000 prisoners.
The agreement – which is seen as an important part of resolving the conflict that has ravaged Yemen – has not been fully implemented and Joint Forces has accused the Houthis of repeatedly violating the 2018 agreement.
The Yemen war began with the capture of the Sanaa capital in 2014 by the Houthis, who ruled the north of the country. The Saudi-led coalition – which included the UAE – went to war in 2015, determined to restore control and eliminate terrorists.
The war turned out to be a civil war that killed thousands of civilians and civilians. The war also brought with it the greatest humanitarian crisis in the world, leaving millions without food and medical care and nearly starving to death.
In recent months, the Houthis have attacked government forces in various areas, including the provinces of Shabwa, Bayda and Marib, although the UN, the United States and others have called for an end to hostilities and negotiations to find a solution to the conflict.
Government forces have pushed back militants in the fierce fighting south of the important city of Marib, the regional capital, officials on both sides said on Saturday.
As part of efforts to end the conflict, Washington has forced Riyadh to lift sanctions and allied ports at Houthi ports, which the group seeks to launch a ceasefire talks.
The closure is a key factor in the humanitarian crisis in Yemen.