World News

Xi promises ‘safe, handsome’ Winter Olympics as COVID cases rise | Winter Olympics News

[ad_1]

The IOC is presenting a report on the largest lawsuit among sports-related officials, criticizing Beijing 2022 singing.

Chinese President Xi Jinping has vowed to provide the Winter Olympics “safe and sound” while organizers say they have found a number of coronavirus infections among the people affected by the Games.

Speaking at an International Olympic Committee (IOC) summit in Beijing on Thursday – a day before the opening ceremony of the Games – Xi said “China is ready” to host the event in line with the Olympic slogan, “speed, speed, power – together”.

“We will do our best to provide a simple, safe and effective game around the world,” he said.

When the Games open in Beijing on Friday, China’s capital will be the first city to participate in the summer and winter Olympics.

But preparations for the event have been hampered by diplomatic beatings and the coronavirus epidemic.

The race, to which about 3,000 athletes are expected to take part, is set to become the world’s strongest sport since the plague began, with all sports-related events being tested daily and kept in a “closed” system. which seals them from leaving the Chinese people.

Olympic workers greet the media as workers at Beijing 2022 pose for a photograph at Beijing International Airport before the 2022 Winter Olympics, January 30th. [Kiichiro Sato/ AP]

Speaking at the same IOC meeting on Thursday, the chairman of the Beijing 2022 medical team, Brian McCloskey, said 55 new COVID-19 cases had been detected among colleagues in the game Wednesday.

That figure – which includes 29 new arrivals to the airport and 26 of those at the Olympics – is the highest number ever reported.

But McCloskey says he is not worried and hopes to see the case come to fruition.

“The numbers are very small,” he said. “We hope the system will work. But we are not comfortable. We keep all the routes. ”

He also said that there have been 287 tests out of 610,000 tests since January 23.

Thomas Bach, IOC chief executive, said “everything is in place for the safest and highest quality winter sports”. But he criticized what happened at this year’s Olympics, led by the United States and joined by the United Kingdom, Canada and Australia.

The boycott states said the move was prompted by concerns about China’s claims human rights violationsincluding his support of Uighur and a few other Islamic groups.

Liberation groups also criticized the IOC for a long time in sponsoring the Games in China.

But Bach has repeatedly defended his organization’s decision at the 2022 Olympics, saying the IOC was neither a political party nor a jurisdiction in independent states.

He said Thursday that in the next two years at the Beijing Games he saw a “black cloud of the development of sports politics in the horizon”.

“We also saw that in some people’s minds the past ghosts were reviving the ugly heads,” Bach said, referring to how the 1976, 1980 and 1984 Olympics were all affected by international strikes during the Cold War. .

This trend is affecting more and more of the economy and the economy.

“That is why we have been working so hard to make the Olympic Games co-ordinating work possible for as many leaders and decision-makers as possible,” Bach said.

He also described what he said was a great commercial opportunity created by the Games which is expected to transform the winter sports industry around the world.

“Today we can say that China is the fifth sporting world. That is why Beijing 2022 will be the start of a new winter sport in the world,” Bach said.

He estimated that the Chinese sports market in winter should be $ 150bn by 2025.

“From this tremendous growth, winter sports companies around the world will benefit,” Bach said.



[ad_2]

Source link

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button