World News

UN wants new talks in Yemen Hodeidah as front-line exchange | United Nations News

[ad_1]

Houthi militants occupied a prominent position in the port city after the pro-government troops withdrew.

The United Nations has urged warring factions in Yemen to hold new talks on Hodeidah as Saudi-led forces invade southern areas, while Houthi militants take the lead in removing troops.

The shooting came on Monday, just one day after the plane crash began. It was the first time since the end of 2018 when the Saudi-backed government and the Houthis signed a UN-backed agreement to join Hodeidah and send troops to both sides which did not happen.

A spokesman for the coalition led by Saudi General Turki al-Malki, commenting on the initial departure from Hodeidah, said the deployment was mandated to benefit other parties and in line with the treaty’s “future plans”.

The UN task force overseeing Hodeidah’s alliance, UNMHA, with its Yemeni government allies said it had not been notified, while other Yemeni allies opposed the withdrawal, including Red Sea fighters.

UNMHA on Monday said the departure of Yemeni allied forces from Hodeidah city, al-Durayhimi, Bayt al Faqih and other parts of al-Tahita and the occupation of Houthi was “a major change” on the front line that needed to be negotiated between the parties.

The coalition has previously said it carried out 11 threats “outside the territories under the Stockholm agreement”.

Houthi militants on Monday clashed with Yemeni forces in Hays state, south of Hodeidah, two militants told Reuters, following a battle in Al Faza on Sunday.

Thousands have fled their homeland

The UN says the move has caused thousands to evacuate.

“About 700 families (about 4,900 people) were relocated” to Khokha, more than 60 miles[100 km]south of Hodeidah, “and another 184 families (about 1,300 people) were relocated south” to the coastal town of Mokha Red Sea. , The United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) cited sources in Yemen.

“No relocation has been reported in areas controlled by government officials,” he said on Sunday, referring to the Houthis.

According to aid agencies, Khokha district has set up 300 tent camps for refugees, while officials say they are looking for alternative accommodation.

But the UN also said that Houthi progress could lead to “normal civilization” between the provinces of Hodeidah and Sanaa, as well as the roads connecting the city of Hodeidah with other provinces.

It is unknown at this time what he will do after leaving the post.

Yemen has been plagued by violence since the Houthis overthrew the world-renowned government in the capital Sanaa, in late 2014. A Saudi-led coalition intervened in the conflict in March 2015, with the aim of restoring government.

UN and US efforts to stamp out hostilities throughout the country have come to a standstill as the Houthis push for the treaty to be banned, while Riyadh demands simultaneous unity.



[ad_2]

Source link

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button