UN condemns Ethiopian aviation; says more people have been killed this month | Stories of Abiy Ahmed

[ad_1]
The UN says at least 108 civilians have been killed in Tigray since the new year as they warn that the distribution of aid has dropped dramatically.
The United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (UNHCR) has complained about “excessive,” disturbing “attacks on a plane crash in Ethiopia’s Tigray region, claiming that 108 civilians had been killed since early January.
Liz Throssell, a spokeswoman for the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR), described the violence, including a minibus, an airport, and a refugee camp. At least 59 people died during the show, which has resulted in the highest number of deaths so far.
“We are shocked by the number of reports, alarming reports we continue to receive about the killings of civilians and the devastation caused by the airstrikes in Ethiopia. Tigray region, “Throssell told reporters in Geneva.
“A total of 108 civilians have been killed and 75 injured since the beginning of the airstrike caused by the Ethiopian army.”
‘Dilogue and reconciliation’
UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres said on Friday he was “heartbroken by the suffering of the Ethiopian people”, and called on the parties to stop fighting.
“Everyone who needs help should get it right away. It’s time to dump her and move on, “she wrote on Twitter.
Throssell called on Ethiopian officials and allies to ensure the safety of civilians in accordance with international law, which seeks to ensure that the targets are militant.
“We call on the Ethiopian authorities and their allies to ensure the protection of civilians and civilian property, in accordance with international human rights law,” he said.
“Failure to respect the principles of non-alignment may equate to war crimes.”
Ethiopian Army spokesman Colonel Getnet Adane and government spokesman Legesse Tulu did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
The government has previously denied that it wants to fight civilians in a 14-month war with Tigrayan rebel forces. The Tigray People’s Liberation Front (TPLF), which is fighting the Central government, does not believe it has the power to strike.
Meanwhile, the UN World Food Program (WFP) reported at the same conference that its distribution was very low, with growing conflict meaning that no WFP team had reached the Tigrayan capital, Mekelle, since mid-December.
WFP spokesman Tomson Phiri told reporters: “Food rescue operations in northern Ethiopia are on the verge of halting because the deadly fighting in the region has hampered the flow of oil and food.”
“After 14 months of war in northern Ethiopia, more people than ever before emergency food assistance. Without food, fuel, and roadblocks, we are at the threshold of a great humanitarian crisis. ”
[ad_2]
Source link



