World News

UK PM Johnson apologizes for “ unprotected ” in the Belfast massacre in 1971 | Conflicting Issues

The apology comes after a judge ruled that British soldiers had fired indiscriminately or violently in the death of nine of the 10 people killed in the incidents.

British Prime Minister Boris Johnson has apologized “unconditionally” on behalf of the government for the deaths of 10 innocent people who were killed in a 1971 Belfast shooting in Britain.

The assassination came as British troops met with protesters in the early days of a religious conflict known as The Troubles.

An investigation led by a judge on Tuesday found that British soldiers had fired or used improper force to kill nine of the 10 people killed in the ceremony, sparking a violent riot.

Supreme Court Judge Siobhan Keegan ruled that all those involved in the accident were “absolutely innocent” and did not participate in the military when they were shot. The deceased was a mother of eight children, a Catholic priest and a veteran of World War II.

Their families had been fighting for years to make a new investigation to clear the names of their loved ones after an initial investigation was not confirmed, giving the impression that those affected were the ones who fired.

Relatives of the victims said this after hearing of the report of the massacre of 10 people in the Ballymurphy area of ​​Belfast in 1971 that affected the British army. [Clodagh Kilcoyne/Reuters]

“The Prime Minister has sincerely apologized on behalf of the UK government for the Ballymurphy incident and the tragic loss of a long-term search for the victims’ families,” Johnson said in a statement on Wednesday, following calls from the prime minister and former prime ministers and deputy prime ministers for Northern. Ireland.

The three-day deadliest riot in the Ballymurphy area of ​​Belfast – the smallest house of Catholics opposed to British rule – came just days after the establishment of unscrupulous soldiers fighting to cause havoc on the streets.

Mr. Hugh Mullan, a 38-year-old priest who was one of 10 dead, was assisting an injured man and shooting a white object before being shot twice in the back, the question was answered.

There was insufficient evidence to suggest that the military was responsible for the assassination of one of the victims, John James McKerr.

However, Judge Keegan said it was ironic that the government had not properly investigated the deaths.

No one has been charged or convicted of the crime. The interrogation was a matter of fact-finding, not a criminal case.

Boris Johnson apologized ‘without fail’ on behalf of the British government [File: Hannah McKay/Reuters]

The government is planning to “provide a path to Northern Ireland that focuses on reconciliation, giving to those affected by the Crisis and finalizing resumption”, Johnson was quoted as saying by the Prophet.

Johnson had already announced Tuesday his administration sets the rules to provide legal protection for former soldiers who served in Northern Ireland, a demand for the Republic of Ireland and the majority in Belfast to protest violently.

Some 3,600 people were killed in a religious conflict between Irish Catholic freedom fighters, “faithful” British Protestant troops and British troops that ended mainly after the 1998 peace treaty.




Source link

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button