World News

Turkish court wants Saudi documents from suspects suspected of killing Khashoggi | Stories by Jamal Khashoggi

[ad_1]

Istanbul, Turkey – A Turkish court has asked government officials to determine whether the defendants have any reason to kill Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi, who is already on trial in Saudi Arabia.

The judge asked the Turkish Ministry of Justice to contact its Saudi counterparts and assess whether the investigation, evasion or verdict had taken place there against the accused, so that they would not be tried again in Turkey. The judge filed the following case on February 24, 2022.

Tuesday’s case was the fifth in a series of lawsuits, starting in 2020. The court is examining 26 Saudi nationals, including a deputy prime minister and his accomplice, who are accused of plotting to assassinate a Saudi journalist in Istanbul in October 2018.

Khashoggi, a former opponent of Prince Mohammed bin Salman (MBS) of Saudi Arabia, stayed outside, and was last seen entering the Saudi embassy in Istanbul on October 2 to receive the necessary documents to register the marriage.

Shortly after entering the embassy, ​​Khashoggi was killed by a group of Saudi aides, who cut and mutilated his body, which has not been recovered. Fellow protesters who know Khashoggi, as well as Turkish officials, testified along with Turkish officials working for the embassy during the trial.

Prosecutors want to serve a life sentence for four people accused of “intentional manslaughter,” while 18 others face life imprisonment for their involvement in Khashoggi’s murder. Four other people have been jailed for five years for vandalism, concealment, or distortion of evidence.

‘Justice is delayed and justice is denied’

A Turkish court has twice rejected a request by Turkish Khashoggi’s friend Khashoggi’s party, Hatice Cengiz, to include evidence in a US intelligence report that found MBS to have it. approved the project arresting or killing a journalist.

The report, released in February, found that the emperor not only had the authority in the kingdom to assassinate, but also claimed the “involvement” of a key adviser and his defense members.

In previous cases, the judge told Cengiz that the report “would not bring anything to court,” and instead asked the Prosecutor General of Istanbul to include the report in their files. Opponents have so far said they do not want to cite a US intelligence report.

Cengiz told Al Jazeera that he still hopes the case will bring justice to his girlfriend. “I hope to get all the evidence from the USA, and continue to prosecute the real killers,” Cengiz said. “Delayed justice is denied.”

Saudi officials have already punished the killers, which they say was not sanctioned by the MBS. Eight people, who have not been named, have been detained by the state for seven to 20 years, which activists said they wanted to give a signal that the case had been closed. Khashoggi’s children openly said they forgave those who killed their father.

Anxiety has been raised

Erol Önderoğlu, a spokesman for Turkey’s Reporters Without Borders (RSF) chapter, was present and told Al Jazeera that the court would not delay the witnesses, and raised fears that the case could be stopped as quietly as Turkey. Saudi Arabia wants to secure a political alliance.

Earlier meetings saw ambassadors from several Western countries come, but on Tuesday, only a German ambassador sent a observer. A third commemoration of the assassination was unannounced this October in Istanbul, in stark contrast to a previous commemoration held in front of the Saudi ambassador by the presence of Turkish and US officials as well as widespread media presence.

The Turkish court’s ability to condemn Khashoggi’s murder not only affects countries, but also raises questions that journalists within Turkey can expect to be protected, Önderoğlu said.

“We have a wide range of concerns. One is related to international commitment, and now with this issue, we have concerns about the commitment of Turkish government officials,” Al Jazeera said.

“The fact that the court twice rejected the request of Hatice Cengiz and her lawyer to include a U.S. intelligence report, that the prosecutor also did not provide a written question, also the idea that Turkey and Saudi Arabia are promoting reconciliation and the third anniversary of the massacre passed quietly in Istanbul – both It appears that the case was never referred to again. “

“We can no longer assume that Khashoggi’s case is at the top of the list,” he said.



[ad_2]

Source link

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button