World News

The call for a Chinese tennis player and an IOC chief is not enough, says WTA | Tennis stories

[ad_1]

A call that seeks to raise concerns about Peng’s safety in connection with rape cases is not enough, the international community says.

Chinese tennis player Peng Shuai telephoned the President of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) not to respond to or reduce the Women’s Tennis Association (WTA) concerns about her health, the agency said.

A WTA spokesman said in an email Monday that seeing Peng, formerly the world’s first, in recent videos was good but still concerns about the star’s health and whether he is being pressured or coerced.

Asked about the IOC’s call, a WTA spokesman said: “This video does not change our call for a thorough, fair and clear investigation, without illumination, on its rape allegations, and that is the issue that prompted our investigation.”

The IOC also said that Peng made a 30-minute phone call with its President, Thomas Bach, on Sunday, saying he was safe and sound at home in Beijing and wanted his secrets conferred so far.

Peng’s whereabouts have been a matter of concern around the world about three weeks ago after he allegedly raped Chinese Deputy Prime Minister Zhang Gaoli.

On November 2, Peng wrote on a Chinese page that Zhang had forced her to have sex and later agreed. The note was removed about half an hour after it was suspended.

Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian, when asked at a regular meeting on Monday, said it was not a matter for the foreign ministry but that Peng had visited recently.

He also appeared at a dinner with friends on Saturday as well as a children’s tennis tournament in Beijing on Sunday, with photos and videos published by Chinese journalists and by the organizers of the competition. But they have done less to alleviate anxiety.

International human rights groups and others have called for an end to the Cold Olympics coming to Beijing over China’s history of human rights. The WTA has also threatened to remove protests from China over the issue.

Hu Xijin, editor of the official Global Times newspaper who recently posted Peng movies and photos in Beijing, said on Twitter Monday that his appearance should be sufficient to allay concerns about “those who care about (a) Peng Shuai’s security.

“But for those who want to attack China’s system and boycott the Winter Olympics in Beijing, the truth, no matter what, will not work for them,” he said.

Neither Zhang nor the Chinese government has responded to Peng’s remarks. China’s Information Council did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The United States and Britain have asked China to provide proof of Peng’s whereabouts, and France’s foreign minister said Sunday that Chinese officials would allow Peng to speak in public.

“I only hope for one thing: to speak,” Jean-Yves Le Drian told LCI television, adding that there could be unintended consequences if China did not clearly explain what was happening. His office did not immediately respond to a request for comment from the IOC.

Players here and former tennis players, including Naomi Osaka, Serena Williams and Billie Jean King, have also joined the ranks to make sure they are safe, using the hashtag #WhereIsPengShuai?

No.1 Nov.

The topic has been banned from chatting on China’s highly-anticipated internet and comments sections on the rest of Peng’s Weibo’s official account, as well as on many user records of his users, have been blocked.

Some Weibo users have found a way to read the statistics by leaving a comment on the accounts of foreign tennis players or game reviews. Although many were pleased to see him return on the weekend, some expressed suspicion.

“I hope it didn’t happen,” said one.



[ad_2]

Source link

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button