World News

Tennis Stars Talk About China

[ad_1]

Tennis players are looking for answers about Peng Shuai, whose absence has also confirmed Chinese tyranny for months to take part in the Winter Olympics.

Posted November 19, 2021, 4:01 pm ET

Xinhua News Agency / Xinhua News Agency / Getty Photos

Peng Shuai at the Australian Open in January, 2020.

The message was on the internet for just a few minutes, but its amazing waves have come all over the world.

“I was very nervous that afternoon,” tennis player Peng Shuai wrote in a statement Nov. 2 on Weibo, China Twitter. “I did not agree, I cried all the time.”

Peng, the number one former World Cup winner at Wimbledon and the French Open, said he was raped by one of China’s most prominent members of the Chinese Communist Party: Zhang Gaoli, a former vice president of China and a in the past. a member of the Politburo party representative committee.

A 35-year-old tennis player said Zhang, 75, raped him a few years ago. He later developed a new, cohesive relationship, he said.

“I feel like a walking corpse,” Peng wrote.

His rape charge – which, as Peng admitted in his duties, has not been confirmed by others – was the first public outcry against a senior official in the Chinese government.

The article was quickly downloaded by Chinese readers, though the search for his name was banned in China.

Since then he has not appeared in public.

The disappearance of one of China’s top athletes in the months leading up to the Winter Olympics has highlighted the country’s brutal regime and a history of oppressive human rights.



Friday, United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights he told reporters sought evidence of “where he lives a good life.”

The top tennis stars have been in line with Peng’s invention, flooding the TV show with the hashtag #WhereIsPengShuai.

Serena Williams: “I am shocked and shocked to hear of my friend, Peng Shuai. he wrote Thursday. “I believe he is OK and will be back soon. This should be checked and we should not be silent. ”

“Prohibition is not good at all,” Naomi Osaka wrote Tuesday.

It is unknown at this time what he will do after leaving the post. This speech gives us a reminder and hope for a better future 🙏 #WhereIsPengShuai https://t.co/eKnLCHcPLj


Twitter: @andy_murray

As his interest grows exponentially around the world, Chinese media on Thursday abruptly issued an email said Peng wrote to Women’s Tennis Association Chairman Steve Simon.

The letter, which was not confirmed, said Peng was resting at home and did not allow the word “blind” to be placed on Weibo.

But in a words On Thursday, Simon said Peng’s letter only made him more afraid of his safety.

“I find it hard to believe that Peng Shuai actually wrote the email we received or believed what he said he did,” he said.

He called for “independent and convincing evidence” of his security and a thorough investigation into his allegations.

“Peng Shuai should be allowed to speak freely, without coercion or intimidation,” Simon said. “Her motives for adultery should be respected, scrutinized openly and without scrutiny.”

Simon told CNN The WTA was ready to do business with China, and thus would have lost millions of dollars, if Peng had not been counted.

“This is bigger than a business,” he said.

A spokeswoman for the Women’s Sports Foundation, a US nonprofit organization founded in 1974 by legendary tennis Billie Jean King, told BuzzFeed News that she supports the WTA position.

“We are deeply saddened by the demise of Peng Shuai and his alleged insults,” he said. “We agree with the WTA’s requirement that we obtain sufficient evidence to justify his defense and to ensure that his allegations are properly respected and investigated.”

But the letter was apparently sufficient for the International Olympic Committee, which is usually silent on the three-time Olympian end.

“We have seen recent reports and we are encouraged and reassured that they are safe,” an IOC spokesman said Thursday.

That terrible word was to be condemned as worthless mwa large rooms no Western media and non-governmental organizations.

South China Morning Post / South China Morning Post via Getty Photos

Zhang Gaoli, the former Chinese Prime Minister, is speaking in Beijing in May 2017.

The International Advocacy Group Human Rights Watch also embarrassed the IOC on what it said was “approval” for the “line” of the Chinese government.

“It is strange that the IOC will accept what the government has said, especially because of the Olympian woman who is lying,” said Minky Worden, Human Rights Watch’s chief of staff for international affairs.

The group urged athletes, sports enthusiasts, and sports sponsors of Winter to speak out in China about human rights.

“The Olympic Games are supposed to be a celebration of humanity, not an opportunity to torture athletes and violate human rights,” Worden said.

After a special meeting Monday with Chinese President Xi Jinping, President Joe Biden said this week he was considering banning the upcoming Games.

Amnesty International too he said It was a major blow to Peng after he was given a Chinese reputation for crushing dissenters.

“Peng’s recent statement that ‘everything is fine’ should not be ignored because Chinese journalists have a history of forcing people to speak under duress, or just fabricating them,” said Doriane, an Amnesty International researcher in China. Lau. “These worries will not go away without Peng’s safety and whereabouts.”



[ad_2]

Source link

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button