T20 World Cup moved to UAE from India thanks to COVID | Cricket News

[ad_1]
An employee of the cricket board in India says the idea has been raised as a result of the increase in COVID-19 cases in a hostile country.
The Twenty20 World Cup has been transferred to the United Arab Emirates from India due to a coronavirus epidemic, according to the Indian cricket board official.
The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) said it had informed the International Cricket Council, the world governing body of the game, of its decision to hold the event in the UAE in October and November.
“We have informed the ICC of the decision to transfer the World Cup to the UAE. We were left with no choice as the COVID-19 problem is still unknown and travel restrictions are still in place, “BCCI Treasurer Arun Dhumal told reporters around the world.
“The dates should be the same or less and we will review them soon.”
The ICC gave BCCI a deadline in late June to select a country to participate in the T20 protests due to the high number of COVID-19 cases in India.
BCCI vice-president Rajeev Shukla said the qualifications could be met in Oman while all other games would be held at three UAE locations in Dubai, Abu Dhabi and Sharjah.
BCCI had already moved to the Indian Premier League which was suspended to the UAE in September-October when the T20 race was suspended on May 4 due to multiple players and officials contracting the COVID-19 virus.
The UAE was selected as cricket while the Pakistan Super League ended last week in the Gulf nation. The IPL also took place in the UAE last year.
The epidemic disrupted the international cricket calendar last year and even after the game resumed in July 2020, the players were just bubbles and set rules for themselves.
Meanwhile the ICC has rescheduled the T20 World Cup which was scheduled to take place in Australia in 2020.
India was granted the right to participate in 2021 and Australia was appointed as the overseer of the 2022 edition.
India, with a population of 1.3 billion, has lifted some restrictions in recent weeks as it leaves a violent explosion in COVID-19 disease and death in April and May.
But health workers fear a new wave could begin to sweep across the country, the second-largest virus in the world after the United States, by the end of this year.
[ad_2]
Source link



