Sudanese army says several soldiers killed in Ethiopian offensive | Stories

[ad_1]
The military told Reuters that six Sudanese soldiers had been killed in a border strike.
Sudanese troops say several Sudanese soldiers have been killed in an attack by Ethiopian troops in the border area.
In a statement on Saturday, the Sudanese military said, “Our troops who worked to protect the harvest in Al-Fashaqa … have been attacked by Ethiopian troops and militants who want to intimidate farmers and disrupt harvest time.”
The Sudanese military “retaliated against the insurgents” and “severely damaged lives and weapons” on the Ethiopian side, it said.
But the attack left “many dead” among Sudanese troops, it said, without threatening.
The Reuters news agency, referring to the military, said at least six soldiers had been killed in the attack.
Ethiopian officials were not immediately available for comment.
Al-Fashaqa is a frontier area cultivated by Ethiopian but Sudanese farmers.
The region, bordering the troubled Tigray region in Ethiopia, has seen fierce tensions between the two sides over the years, but it has escalated over the past year.
The conflict began in Tigray in November 2020 and sent thousands of refugees to Sudan.
Khartoum and Addis Ababa have been the scene of long-running hostilities in the region, selling off violent crimes and vandalism.
The border dispute has caused a great deal of controversy in the region, including the Great Ethiopian Renaissance Dam of Ethiopia on the Blue Nile.
Sudan, along with Egypt, have been at loggerheads for ten years over the mega-dam election.
All the lower reaches of the river, which depend on the river for more water, are considered to be a threat.
[ad_2]
Source link



