World News

Some of the bodies were taken from the ruins of a Florida dormitory | US & Canada News

[ad_1]

The confirmed death toll has risen to 9 as the search continues on the site of a 12-story building that collapsed near Miami.

Some bodies were exhumed from the ruins of a slightly collapsed 12-storey house near Miami, Florida, where the death toll rose to 9 a week and more than 150 people are unaccounted for.

Emergency services continue to search for survivors since a condom fell Thursday morning in Surfside, a suburb of Miami. Teams of experts from Israel and Mexico also participated in the study.

Miami-Dade mayor Daniella Levine Cava told reporters Sunday that the death toll had risen to nine, including one who died at the hospital.

“We also found four more bodies in the rubble and human remains. As of today, one person has died in hospital, and we have also found 8 people … tortured at the scene,” he said at a press conference.

“So, I confirm today that the dead are nine. We have identified four people affected by the disaster and notified their relatives. ”

People stop to look at monuments erected by their neighbors in front of the damaged house in Surfside [Maria Alejandra Cardona/Reuters]

As emergency responders continue to filter garbage – a process that went awry on Saturday a burning fire among the rubbish – questions continue to be asked about what caused the condom to fall off.

On Saturday, U.S. media reported that the 2018 technical report warned the building that it was on a concrete wall that was “badly damaged” and needed to be repaired. The same report also found “numerous cracks and bruises” of concrete pillars, planks, and walls in the parking lot.

But it is not clear what caused the collapse.

Heidi Zhou-Castro of Al Jazeera, quoted from Surfside, said six or eight rescue teams were working on the waste and hundreds of other workers were standing by. “Obviously there is a lot of interest here … There is hope that there are more survivors laid to rest,” he said.

“It has now been 80 hours since this incident, so the situation here has not been much better despite the fact that rescuers are trying to get the bodies out.”

Officials from the Federal Emergency Management Agency have joined state and federal officials at the site, Florida Governor Ron DeSantis said Saturday.

DeSantis also added that the nearby “sister house” of the collapsed tower is also being considered because it was built immediately and the same design. An evacuation order was issued to the other house, and the supervisor did not find any obvious problems.

Fire Chief Alan Cominsky told reporters Sunday that things were still “very difficult” but that search and rescue teams were holding “non-stop”.

“We are doing everything we can, looking for everything we can, any hope, to see if we can find the victim,” Cominsky said, adding that heavy equipment – including cranes – had been brought in. we continue, our search has been completely transformed, “he said.

In the meantime, the families and loved ones of the homeless continue to look forward to the news. Some families of the needy gave DNA samples to adults while others described how they survived a bit.

Police released the names of four people aged 54 to 83.

A beach woman praying near the house while paramedics continue to search and rescue [Marco Bello/Reuters]

Builder Erick de Moura was supposed to be at home when the tower collapsed, but his friend persuaded him to sleep on less than 3km (2 miles) of Miami Beach, probably to save his life.

“Only God. To me this is a miracle, “the 40-year-old from Brazil told Reuters.



[ad_2]

Source link

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button