World News

Protests begin in Kazakhstan with oil prices rising | Opposition Articles

[ad_1]

Demonstrations are marching through the streets for the third day amid growing protests against rising oil prices.

Demonstrations against climbing electricity prices took place in Kazakhstan for the third day in a row on Tuesday, reflecting the deep tensions in the former Soviet Union.

The protests began over the weekend in the town of Zhanaozen, in the oil-rich region west of Mangystau, which was sparked by rising oil prices (LPG).

Since then it has spread to several towns and cities, including the Aktau region on the Caspian Sea coast in the country, as well as a labor camp operated by Tengizchevroil, a small-scale oil company in Kazakhstan. The protests have affected thousands of people.

Demonstrations in Zhanaozen, a petrol station where many people were killed at a 2011 strike that began with the dismissal of well-paid oil workers and their performance, demanded that the price of LPG be reduced from $ 120 ($ 0.27) per liter. to the level at which oil was sold last year.

Retailers have agreed to reduce the price by a quarter but the government of President Kassym-Jomart Tokayev has said further reductions are not possible due to production costs.

The price has already been determined, but officials have said lower prices are what make LPG making impossible.

President wants ‘dialogue’

Tokayev has moved to try and stop the protests.

He said on Twitter on Tuesday that a government agency has started operating in Aktau and will find a solution “for stability in our country”.

“Law enforcement agencies have been instructed to ensure that peace is not violated. Demonstrators should show responsibility and a willingness to enter into negotiations, “added Tokayev.

His remarks came after a video broadcast on television showed protesting police patrols in Aktau on Monday evening.

There were also reports on television that officials had cut off the internet in some places, blocked news outlets and arrested journalists in response to the protests. Al Jazeera was unable to confirm the reports on his own.

People’s demonstrations are rare strong control Kazakhstan, which is a parliament without objection, and are considered prohibited only if the developers send notification in advance.

Tokayev took over the post in 2019, after being elected successor by the country’s founding leader Nursultan Nazarbayev.

But Nazarbayev, 81, who has ruled Kazakhstan since 1989, oversees the country as chair of the Security Council and “Head of State” – a position that gives him a unique opportunity to make decisions and not be challenged.



[ad_2]

Source link

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button