Maldives: Absolutely abandoned aid after surviving a bomb blast | Stories from the Maldives
The family of the former President and speaker here say doctors are ‘very happy’ with his recovery after undergoing life-saving surgery.
Former Maldives president Mohamed Nasheed knows and will not help him after several operations, his family said, when police announced he had been arrested for two explosions. seriously injured he.
The 53-year-old leader of the ruling Maldivian Democratic Party and chairman of parliament has been taken to hospital after a bomb exploded as he tried to enter his car after leaving his home in the capital, Male, on Thursday evening.
No charges have been filed, but police on Saturday said two people had been arrested in connection with the blast, which they say “dangerous” attack.
Two people are arrested for # May06TerrorAttack. More will be shared at a press conference this afternoon.
– Maldives police (@PoliceMv) May 8, 2021
“I’m fine,” Nasheed said after his recovery, according to a tweet from his sister, Nashida Sattar, on Saturday. His brother, Ibrahim Nashid, said doctors were “very happy” with Nasheed’s recovery.
“She’s out of life support and breathing on her own,” he said in a tweet. “We exchanged a few words. He promised to come back strong. I trust him.”
The doctors are very happy about her recovery. She is out of life support and breathing on her own. Ability to exchange a few words. He promised to come back strong. I trust him. 😊
– Nash (@i_nashid) May 8, 2021
On Friday, doctors said Nasheed needed 16 hours of surgery to remove the fractures and treat the malignant lesions on his head, chest, and abdomen.
President Ibrahim Mohamed Solih described the incident as “an uprising against the democracy and economy of the Maldives” and called for an “immediate and thorough investigation”.
Nasheed, who in 2008 became the first democratically elected President in the Maldives, is a staunch opponent of extremist groups on the island of Sunni Muslim Island, and has assisted in investigating false allegations against opposition leaders.
In 2007, an explosion that was predicted to intensify its activity affected foreign visitors and injured 12 people.