World News

Madagascar police chief swim ashore after a helicopter crash | Police News

Serge Gelle, 57, swam for 12 hours after his plane crashed while the plane crashed, killing several people.

The Madagascar police chief and aircraft mechanic have been able to swim for 12 hours to protect their plane from crashing into the Indian Ocean.

General Serge Gelle, 57, the state secretary for the gendarmerie, was found in the water by a fisherman in a boat that took him ashore, according to authorities.

Another passenger, Chief Warrant Officer Jimmy Laisara, also swam to the Mahambo beach.

“It ‘s not time for me to die, thank God. I’m fine. I’m just cold, “Gelle said in a video posted to Twitter by the Madagascar Security Ministry. But I’m sorry because I don’t know if my friends are alive.

Gelle appeared on the living room, still in her military uniform, her hands pale and wrinkled with water and cold.

“There were four of us on the plane. I sat behind the pilot, “he said of the crash Monday evening.

Since I did not have a protective jacket, I untied the seat and used it as a buoy. I remained silent and took off everything I carried such as shoes and a belt. I did everything I could to stay alive, ”he said. Gelle said he expected to return to work after 24 hours and said his cell phone was lost in the accident.

Many in Madagascar have praised Gelle for calling her a “hero,” a “fast runner,” and “a role model” for her.

As a result of the helicopter crash “it is still unknown”, officials said. Gelle said the storm disrupted the flight. The helicopter pilot and another passenger are still missing.

The helicopters were one of two people who flew government agents to inspect the site of the sinking of the French boat, drowning at least 64 people on board.

“Twenty-five bodies have been found this morning near the Sainte-Marie Islands, possibly due to tidal waves, which have killed at least 64 people,” Zafisambatra Ravoavy chief of staff told AFP.

Five children were among the dead.

A small cargo ship sank on Monday while carrying 138 people illegally, according to the Maritime and River Port Agency.

Services to rescue more than 20 people still missing, the agency said.

France drowned Monday morning about 20km (12 miles) from the town of Soanierana Ivongo.

“Flooding in the engine room triggered the attack. “Obviously, the boat was overcrowded,” said Maurice Tianjara, deputy director general of the Maritime Authority.

Source link

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button