Libya Electoral Commission dissolves voting committees | Election Issues

[ad_1]
The move by Imad al-Sayeh, head of the High National Elections Commission, adjourned the vote on December 24.
The head of Libya’s High National Electoral Commission (HNEC) has demanded that national election committees be dissolved, which has led to presidential elections this week.
A statement issued by Imad al-Sayeh on December 20 outlined six points, in particular the “dissolution of branch offices and election committees”. A member of the HNEC board of directors on Tuesday confirmed the document was correct.
No elections this year (or next year either) #HNEC ordered to liquidate branch offices and district and regional committees, pic.twitter.com/cC4VDRCdZu
– Rami Musa (@RamiRMusa) December 21, 2021
There are no reports yet on Libyan President Mohammad Younes Menfi, who is in Cairo to meet his Egyptian counterpart, Abdel Fattah el-Sisi.
Malik Traina of Al Jazeera, who hails from Tripoli, said the escalating tensions in recent weeks over the country’s political and security armor had doubted whether the December 24 elections would go ahead as planned. Opposition groups called for a boycott of the by-elections, but officials declined to comment.
“This is the first sign that elections are not happening,” Traina said of the HNEC document.
“The head of the electoral commission has ordered the election committees and the electoral offices to return to their seats before the election as if it were not taking place,” he added.
“This means that he has ordered temporary staff and supervisors at polling stations to resign, to remove all electoral weapons.”
A few days before Friday’s election, the election had already begun, and there was no running for office and no campaign was under way.
Controversy over the electoral law has continued throughout this period, including during the voting period, the eligibility of candidates and the powers that be held by the next president and parliament.
[ad_2]
Source link



