French troops leave Timbuktu in Mali after nearly nine years | Stories

[ad_1]
French troops say they will ‘live differently’ as former colonists reduce their presence in Mali.
French troops have left the city of Timbuktu, a recent sign that former colonialists are reducing their presence in northern Mali nine years after the military took action to repatriate fighters who had seized territories in the country.
It was in Timbuktu on February 2, 2013, when former French President Francois Hollande announced the start of France. military invasion in Mali. On Tuesday, the French flag was flown at half-mast and Mary’s flag was raised in the air, with about 150 troops left as France began withdrawing troops.
General Etienne du Peyroux, commander of the French Army Operation Barkhane in Mali, shook hands with the new camp commander and handed him a large wooden key as the French plane slowly passed by.
France “will exist in a different way”, said du Peyroux. “This is the goal of Operation Barkhane: to allow Mali to take its own future … but always in harmony.”
The new leader of Mary has said nothing.
In a statement, the French military confirmed that the Malian army had a “strong military force in Timbuktu”, including about 2,200 United Nations peacekeepers sent there permanently.
Mali has been embroiled in a conflict that began as a separatist in the north of the country in 2012, but has become a militant force fighting for control of the central and northern regions.
War has spread to neighboring countries, including Burkina Faso and Niger, while the deterioration of security in the region is posing a serious humanitarian crisis.
France announced earlier this year that it would happen removing more than 2,000 troops from the Sahel region to early 2022, resuming its military operations in reducing terrorists, and promoting and training local troops.
The ruling came amid growing unrest in Mali, with former colonel Assimi Goita carrying out two riots less than a year before he was sworn in as president.
In recent months, reports aa possible to send mercenaries Employee and Wagner Group which is a dispute in Mali is already in trouble strong alliance between the French government and the perpetrators of terrorism. This growing tension comes at a time when anti-French sentiment is gaining popularity among Malian people who oppose Paris for failing to keep up the escalating violence and pursue secrecy.
The French military has already closed its camps north of Kidal and Tessalit but remains in Gao near an unstable border area where operations have been taking place in recent years.
The international community has set a date for the new democratic elections in Mali in late February, although there are growing signs that it will not happen.
On Sunday, the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) warned that Mali could face further sanctions if “progress” does not take place on January 1 in preparation for elections.
ECOWAS has already suspended Mali, and imposed sanctions and sanctions on members of the transitional government.
Military officials have blamed Mali for its insecurity, which is why the deadline for February has not been reached.
[ad_2]
Source link



