World News

US approves release of five more prisoners in Guantanamo | Prison News

[ad_1]

Five men from Yemen, Somalia and Kenya are among 39 prisoners still being held in US prisons in Cuba.

The United States has approved the release of five more prisoners from prison Guantanamo Bay Army, although this does not mean that he has ever been released from prison.

Three out of five bound is from Yemen, another from Somalia, and another from Kenya, according to documents posted online by the US Defense Department this week.

Altogether, the men have spent 85 years in open prisons twenty years ago for detainees called the “terrible war” after the al-Qaeda attack on September 11, 2001.

Of the 39 detainees currently under arrest US operation in Cuba, 18 have been approved for release, following a review of the cases in November and December. The 18 men have not been charged with any crime, according to an AFP report.

(Al Jazeera)

The five men who have just been released are Somali Guleed Hassan Ahmed (also known as Guled Hassan Duran); Kenyan Mohammed Abdul Malik Bajabu; and Omar Muhammad Ali al-Rammah, Moath Hamza al-Alwi, and Suhayl al-Sharabi of Yemen.

Hassan Duran, according to his lawyers, will be the first to be arrested in Guantanamo from a black CIA site to be approved for release. The New York Times reported Tuesday.

The Pentagon’s Periodic Review Board found that all five men did not show, or did not show, a threat to the US.

But like others who are approved for their release, their potential release from prison can be delayed as Washington wants reform and their home countries for prisoners, or other countries, to approve them.

So far, the US has not returned Yemenis for civil war in the country, or the Somalis, whose country is also in conflict.

An infographic showing the experiences of 780 prisoners in Guantanamo Bay[Al Jazeera]

Acknowledging the release reflects the efforts of President Joe Biden to address the problems he is facing. the remaining 39 Guantanamo Bay prisoners, after his predecessor Donald Trump stopped taking action.

On Tuesday he celebrated the 20th anniversary of the opening of the prison, and he brought it new phones from human rights groups around the world to close. Freedom groups criticize the US for arresting hundreds of people at the time, and torturing many.

Of the 39 men still detained in Guantanamo, 27 have not been charged, Human Rights Watch reported.

On Monday, a panel of UN experts on human rights called Washington to “close this vicious cycle of perpetual human rights abuses”.

Writing on Lawfare page, U.S. Senator Dianne Feinstein said the inmates are being prosecuted, including an expert on September 11th. Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, could be tried in the United States civilian courts instead of in the secret and difficult courts.

“Now that the US war in Afghanistan is over, it is time to close the doors to Guantanamo once again,” Feinstein said.

Infographic of the last four US presidents closed Guantanamo Bay([Al Jazeera]

Some of the men still in custody, Guantanamo security lawyers have said good health problems that make it difficult to file a lawsuit to release or arrange future life in their home country or elsewhere.

Khalid Ahmed Qasim, whose case was reviewed in December, refused to be released even though Pentagon officials in charge of investigations admitted he was not a key figure in al-Qaeda or the Taliban and did not threaten.

But they have shown that they often do not follow the prison rules and do not have a plan for their future if they are released. The council “encourages the detainee to strive for better visibility and better emotional control,” it said.

It also asked its lawyers to make plans “on how to improve his health if he was transferred”. from Guantanamo.

In the 20 years since Guantanamo’s inauguration, the US has spent more than $ 540m a year on prisoners there, according to Human Rights Watch.



[ad_2]

Source link

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button