World News

Fire disrupts rescue building in Florida | US & Canada News

[ad_1]

Emergency services are searching for survivors of the rubble of a 12-storey building that crashed near Miami this week.

A recent fire broke out in the ruins of a 12-story building crashed near the city of Miami in the United States this week has hampered rescue work, with officials saying 159 people are unaccounted for.

Emergency services on Saturday continued to search for survivors at the bottom of a garbage dump in the area where Thursday’s house collapsed in Surfside, a town near Miami, leaving four people dead.

Rescuers used infrared technology, water and foam to fight the blaze, which was not immediately clear.

At a press conference, Miami-Dade Mayor Daniella Levine Cava said the smoke was the biggest problem. He described the fire as “very deep” and said firefighters were facing “serious difficulties” because of the fire.

“A very dark fragrance,” added Florida Governor Ron DeSantis, speaking to the mayor.

Emergency services continue to search and rescue survivors, in Surfside, near Miami Beach, Florida, on June 26 [Marco Bello/Reuters]

During the day, exhaust fumes from the second porch in the second floor of the building are still standing, while rescuers throw garbage to dispose of the dust.

“The biggest thing now is hope,” Fire Chief Alan Cominsky said. “That’s what drives us. It’s very difficult. ”

So far, a recently released 2018 report showed that engineers have found evidence of serious damage under the “pool” pool and “concrete damage” on the underground condom.

The engineer, Frank Morabito, warned that the adhesive that is installed at the bottom of the pool pool has failed due to a serious defect in the manufacturing process.

“Failure to adhere results in significant damage to the concrete structure below.” “Failure to restore the adhesive will soon result in concrete growth significantly.”

It was not immediately clear whether the damage reported in the report was related to the collapse of the building at 1:30 a.m. local time (0530 GMT) on Thursday. The building had more than 130 units, about 80 of which were inhabited, officials said. About half it seems to have fallen.

Heidi Zhou-Castro of Al Jazeera, a report from Surfside on Saturday, said investigators had submitted an engineer report to investigate the damage to the building.

“As a result of the warning, government officials here say they are launching an urgent re-inspection of all other buildings of the same age or more – this was a 40-year-old house – across the region,” Zhou-Castro said.

“But obviously, in the case of the family members of the 159 people who could still be trapped under the rubble, this is a painful wait – not just for the answers to these incidents but especially for future responses from their loved ones.”

Rachel Spiegel’s mother, Judy Spiegel, 66, lives in the sixth floor of the house. Speaking to his relatives, he said on Saturday that the couple was “striving to be together”.

“I know my mother is a warrior,” Spiegel said. “I know he loves us. I know he doesn’t want to give up. So, you know, it’s the third day, so it’s hard. ”

Two on the beach took action near the collapsed house in Surfside [Marco Bello/Reuters]



[ad_2]

Source link

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button