World News

Conflict in Libya escalates if all elections are delayed | Election Issues

[ad_1]

Negotiations continue as the UN mission demonstrates security concerns in Tripoli after deploying troops.

Tensions are running high in Libya just days before a presidential election is expected to be called off, with the United Nations in the country saying it is concerned about security in Tripoli.

The head of the High National Electoral Commission (HNEC), in a December 2020 document, ordered the dissolution of national election committees. The move, which is expected to halt the presidential election, is due to take place on Friday, although no such announcement has been made.

The news came on Tuesday when militant groups were dispatched to Tripoli, closing roads south of the capital using sandbags. Photos posted online this morning showed tanks and trucks loaded with machine guns in Fornaj state.

“Assembling allied forces leads to conflict and increases the risk of conflict that could lead to conflict,” the UN mission, UNSMIL said in a statement later on Tuesday, adding that all political conflicts should be resolved. through interviews.

Meanwhile, schools and the University of Tripoli closed as a precautionary measure but there were no gun wars, citizens said. In the evening, Tripoli roads that had been closed were reopened and a few gunmen were seen on the streets, according to reports.

Troops also took to the streets of Tripoli last week after the coalition government ousted Abdulbasit Marwan, a military chief with the help of several powerful military forces in the city.

Back stories

Libya’s presidential election is part of a UN-sponsored plan to end a 10-year-old unrest since 2011 crimes that ousted former ruler Muammar Gaddafi. Koma without any clear agreement on legislation, as well as with bitter disputes over the eligibility of elected officials, the process has stalled and cannot continue.

“Obviously voting is delayed, but no government agency or official has been prepared to announce the suspension,” said Malik Traina of Al Jazeera, from Tripoli, adding that the election commission. and the legislature has been at loggerheads over who is responsible for the election.

This time Tuesday morning, two lead presidential representatives from western Libya, former interior minister Fathi Bashagha and Deputy Prime Minister Ahmed Maiteeq met with Khalifa Haftar in Benghazi. Haftar is a rebel leader from the East who also seeks leadership.

The content of their discussions was not disclosed, but Bashagha’s adviser told AFP that the purpose of his visit was to “resolve barriers … and show that it is possible to reconcile”.

The conference is marked by a series of recent discussions between candidates, party groups and foreign countries about the delay in voting and whether the long-term government will remain in power.

The participants in the group meeting in Benghazi are joined by former Prime Minister Abdul Hamid Dbeibah. another competitor.

Dbeibah promised when he was selected not to compete with them. Opposition groups called for a boycott of the by-elections in protest of his decision to run for office.

Haftar’s representation is embroiled in controversy in the western region following a 14-month Tripoli attack from 2019-2020, which devastated the city. Another well-known figure, Gaddafi’s son, Saif al-Islam Gaddafi, is also unpopular with many Libyans.



[ad_2]

Source link

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button