World News

China promotes ‘flexibility’ over N Korea’s adoption amid US criticism | Political Issues

[ad_1]

UN ambassador to China has called on the United States to be more lenient in dealing with North Korea, while Beijing has joined forces to withdraw a joint UN Security Council document condemning Pyongyang’s recent explosion of weapons, according to ambassadors.

Washington issued a statement opposing the establishmentbut China and Russia, along with other countries, refused to sign, the ambassadors told AFP on Friday.

“If they want to see a new change, they need to show honesty and flexibility,” China’s ambassador to the UN, Zhang Jun, told U.S. officials at a domestic conference held at Washington’s request to North Korea.

“They have to come up with clearer and more effective, flexible processes, policies and practices and to meet the DPRK concerns,” Zhang told reporters, using the initials of the North North official name.

“What I see is the key to resolving this issue is in the hands of the United States.”

Kim Jong Un’s government tested seven weapons that were unprecedented in January, including launching its most powerful fleet since 2017, as it said it could re-launch long-term nuclear and nuclear tests.

The Chinese official realized this as a result of former US President Donald Trump’s policy on North KoreaPyongyang had stopped testing nuclear weapons and launching a global nuclear weapons program.

However, in recent months, Zhang lamented, “we have seen a vicious fight, a rebuke, a punishment”.

China and Russia have been blocking the UN Security Council from taking action in North Korea, and last year drafted a resolution that would reduce sanctions on Pyongyang for humanitarian reasons, but the plan was not voted out due to a lack of support.

“At least we are taking action to help better resolve and prevent the escalation of conflicts,” Zhang said.

‘Returning evil for evil’

After the meeting, the US envoy to the international community, Linda Thomas-Greenfield, said the China-Russian idea of ​​lifting sanctions would reward North Korea for what it called “bad behavior.”

“There is no reason for the Council to reward them with nine exams in one month and almost more in recent years,” he told reporters.

“Spending millions of dollars on military tests when your people are hungry shows that this country does not care about its people.”

Friday’s conference in North Korea was the third in a month.

South Koreans watch live video footage and photos of some North Korean missile tests at the end of January [Jung Yeon-je/AFP]

Finally, on January 20, eight members of the Council – Albania, Brazil, United Kingdom, France, Ireland, Norway, the United Arab Emirates and the United States – along with Japan were released. a joint statement criticizing the northern test.

Seven other Council members – China, Gabon, Ghana, India, Kenya, Mexico and Russia – declined to sign.

On Friday, the same eight countries, Japan, led by Washington, issued a new call for North Korea to “stop its disruptive activities and return to negotiations”.

“We continue to urge the DPRK to respond positively to what they are coming from the United States and others to meet without conditions,” it said.

The statement also called on other members of the Security Council, saying that “the Council’s silence is too high”.

North Korea on Friday sent a “thank you” to a Chinese counterpart at the Winter Olympics in Beijing, a message that experts see as a signal to stop the testing of cannons during the Games.

U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken is planning a tripartite talks on the issue in Hawaii on February 12 with South Korea and Japan.



[ad_2]

Source link

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button