World News

Chauvin accuses George Floyd | Issues of Human Rights

[ad_1]

A former Minneapolis police officer is investigating the arrest of Floyd last year.

Former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin, judged Earlier this year on the murder of George Floyd, he pleaded guilty to violating Floyd’s rights.

Chauvin, 45, had previously pleaded not guilty to any wrongdoing but was sentenced to life imprisonment if convicted. His appeal on Wednesday precludes prosecution but may extend his sentence.

The former officer appeared in the U.S. District Court in St Paul, Minnesota in an orange jumpsuit to strip his defendant of the right to change his plea guilty in the face of opposition.

When asked by U.S. District Judge Paul Magnuson how he pleaded, Chauvin said, “In the meantime, guilty, your dignity.”

Prosecutors have urged Chauvin to stay in prison for 25 years after he changed his request and transferred him to federal prison.

Chauvin was incarcerated in a Minnesota prison where he works 22.5 years sentence for murder and manslaughter in Floyd’s death last year.

Chauvin, a white man, was found kneeling on Floyd’s neck for years nine minutes during arrest in Minneapolis on May 25, 2020.

Floyd’s assassination lit up months Black Lives Matter shows and they want national justice and an end to police violence in the US.

Judge Magnuson said he would try the case later, when his brothers Chauvin and Floyd would have the opportunity to speak in court.

Chauvin was questioned by critics Wednesday as to whether he had deliberately deprived Floyd of his legal rights and whether he had knelt on Floyd even though the man had fainted. Chauvin replied.

Chauvin’s signature agreement in court requires that he pay an undisclosed amount of money and that he is no longer a police officer.

Lawyers for Floyd’s family said Chauvin’s request made them “a hope for our future”.

“Thanks to the march and the cries of justice in our streets, as well as the courage and wisdom of the judges, a dramatic change is imminent,” said Ben Crump, Antonio Romanucci and Jeff Storms in a joint statement.

“We have not only seen and heard prosecuted in the state of Minnesota, but now we see it in the federal government as a clear case of human rights abuses.”

The first charge against Chauvin was that he violated Floyd’s right to be unjustly detained and pressured by a police officer while kneeling on Floyd’s neck even though Floyd refused to answer.

The second lawsuit alleges that Chauvin deliberately deprived Floyd of his rights without cause, including his right to freedom from “willful disregard for his medical needs”.

Opponents say Chauvin’s long-awaited charges of violating the human rights of the young man arrested in 2017 will be dropped, CBS Minneapolis WCCO-TV reported.

Three other police officers involved in the arrest of Floyd – who was fired from his Minneapolis police station after the incident – are still facing government and federal charges. federal funds.

Former Minneapolis police officers Alexander Alexander Kueng, Thomas Lane, and Tou Thao have been charged with genocide for killing George Floyd. [File: Hennepin County Sheriff’s Office via AP]

Thomas Lane, J Alexander Kueng and Tou Thao are on trial in January for allegedly extorting Floyd’s legal rights “without cause”. He is also facing charges in a state trial that is set to begin in March for aiding and abetting Floyd’s assassination.

According to evidence in the state case against Chauvin, Kueng and Lane helped stop Floyd from being on the ground; Kueng knelt on Floyd’s back and Lane grabbed Floyd’s legs. Thao restrained the people around and prevented them from interfering during the ban.



[ad_2]

Source link

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button