World News

California power outages are on the rise as strong winds increase the risk of fire | Business and Economic Affairs

[ad_1]

More than 200,000 customers may lose their jobs in areas around Los Angeles and San Diego, depending on local resources.

Author and Bloomberg

The most popular use in Southern California cut off power for many customers in the mountains near Los Angeles as a strong wind triggered a wildfire, and set the second year in a row for the region to spend Thanksgiving in the dark.

Edison International’s Southern California operation shut down 63,835 homes and businesses in Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, San Bernardino and Ventura counties from 10:36 am local time to prevent wires from catching fire as a hurricane hit the region. affected. More than 200,000 customers may lose their jobs in areas around Los Angeles and San Diego, depending on local resources.

California-based power companies have begun shutting down power lines before a strong wind could blow after a deadly fire broke out with their weapons. It is just one of many ways the years of drought are changing the lives of people in Golden State, with a population of about 40 million. Last year, Southern California Edison cut off electricity to more than 20,600 homes and businesses on Thanksgiving Day, with many people living at home due to the growing coronavirus epidemic.

Strong, dry winds across southern California are expected to subside by Thanksgiving night, although the risk of a devastating wildfire will continue on Friday, the National Weather Service said. The Red Flag warning – the highest warning – has been sent from Santa Barbara to the border with Mexico until Friday. The U.S. Storm Prediction Center says the dry season in some parts of southern California will continue Thursday morning and is expected to continue throughout the day, with strong winds until noon.

“You can play your part by knowing and being prepared for a temporary move, especially if you live in an area of ​​canyon, mountains or mountains,” Kevin McGowan, head of the Los Angeles County Emergency Management Office, said Wednesday. to release.

Edison warned that more than 156,000 homes and businesses could lose power, while Sempra Energy’s San Diego Gas & Electric shut down more than 5,300 customers in 12 areas and warned of closures that could affect nearly 48,000 homes and businesses. The service will be restored after companies inspect their power lines to eliminate wind damage.

Across California, 8,367 fires have burned at least 3.1 million acres (1.3 million hectares) of state and federal property this year, burning more than 3,600 homes and killing three people, according to the California department of Forestry and Fire Protection. The risk of fire is increasing because all areas here are affected by the drought, according to the US Drought Monitor.



[ad_2]

Source link

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button