World News

Australian court is beginning to hear that Djokovic wants to stay | Coronavirus Plague News

[ad_1]

The world’s top tennis player is fighting for expulsion amid questions about COVID-19.

An Australian court has begun hearing an appeal by tennis player Novak Djokovic, the world’s largest player, over whether he had met the illegal rules on COVID-19 to allow him to enter the country, within two weeks of the Australian Open tennis tournament kick-off. .

Djokovic was detained at the airport when he arrived Wednesday night after his visa was revoked.

Officials say the player does not have enough evidence to not receive the COVID-19 vaccine he said was given.

Australia has not yet opened its borders, and every foreigner should receive a comprehensive vaccine – with little or no release. News of Djokovic’s pardon has fueled resentment in the country, which is battling a new coronavirus epidemic and where many families have been separated for years by barring immigrants.

Djokovic is said to have tested COVID-19 in December which qualified him for removal.

The trial was set to begin on 10am (23:00 GMT), after the judge rejected the government’s request to adjourn the case for several days. Negotiations finally began at 10.30am (23:30 GMT), after technical difficulties. There were frequent omissions from the audience.

Djokovic is looking forward to winning the 21st Grand Slam at the Australian Open, which kicks off in Melbourne on Jan. 17.

He was detained at the Park Hotel, where he has been called “another detention center” since his visa was revoked last week. The area is well-known for having people who are known to be refugees but are still being held in prisons because they arrived in the country by boat.

Police in riot gear stormed a rally on Friday, removing hundreds of protesters by truck. [Sandra Sanders/Reuters]

Djokovic’s lawyers are said to have had the necessary permits to enter Australia, plus a check from the home affairs department that responses to his travel declaration form show that he met the requirements to come without residency.

When presenting to the judge, they found that the player had put a box on the state official form stating that he would not receive the vaccine for medical reasons and had filed the certificates he had given to the Chief Medical Officer and Tennis Australia.

Earlier, he also said that a Serbian man had repeatedly told police officers entering and entering the country that if they had been given a mobile phone, he might have received the information.

Judge Anthony Kelly appeared to be deeply saddened by the player’s actions: “What I’m upset about,” he said, “is what this guy would have done.”

In documents previously filed, the government said the email could not be seen as proof that “his” medical apology “would be accepted”, and his responses could be questioned and confirmed upon arrival.

The government also denied Djokovic’s allegations that he was not allowed to get sick because he had COVID-19 recently.

“There is no indication that the applicant had a” serious illness “in December 2021. His claim is that he tested for COVID-19. This is not the same,” he said.



[ad_2]

Source link

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button