Former BBC presenter Lord Tony Hall has resigned from the National Gallery, as tensions continue to mount following a radio interview with Diana, Princess of Wales, 25 years ago.
Asking published earlier this week found that the BBC’s Martin Bashir lied to get a private interview with the queen in 1995, using deceptive tactics that were later investigated by “insignificant” internal investigations by Hall, who later became a senior radio broadcaster.
Hall said in a statement on Saturday that he had resigned from the National Gallery as “it is clear that continuing to do so could jeopardize my favorite place”.
“As I said two days ago, I am very sorry for what happened 25 years ago and I believe leadership means taking responsibility,” added Hall, who took office last July, months after leaving the BBC.
The story has left the UK’s largest publisher under pressure to maintain public confidence – which saw his predecessor Prince William succeed accuses him of insulting his parents and encouraged her mother to “fear, persistence and isolation” – as she discusses future agreements with the government.
Bashir resigned from the BBC last week due to illness and on Friday Tim Suter, a former BBC News chief who participated in a domestic investigation, resigned from the board of watchdog Ofcom.
Meanwhile, Sky News announced on Saturday that Diana’s brother, Charles, Earl Spencer, had written a letter to the Metropolitan police chief asking the military to review the interview, which was reported on BBC radio. Panorama program a quarter of a century ago.
Scotland Yard had previously said it would review the findings to make sure there was no “new evidence” to support the investigation.
Sir John Kingman, vice-chairman of the National Gallery of Trustees, on Saturday said the museum was “very sad to lose him, but we truly understand and respect his opinion”. The Kingman will resume Hall work soon, the building said.