Abuja orders radio stations, TVs not to use Twitter to get more information and to tell them to open their accounts.
Nigerian TVs and radio stations should not use Twitter for information and should open their accounts, journalists say, within a few days of Abuja stopped the movie giant in west africa.
The National Broadcasting Commission, in a statement released Monday, told advertisers to “stop watching Twitter immediately”.
“These radio stations are advised to stop using Twitter and to stop using Twitter as a means of gaining information,” he said in the statement, adding that “strict adherence to control”.
“It would be unpopular with any Nigerian radio station to continue using Twitter which was suspended as its source.”
The Nigerian government on Friday said it had suspended Twitter activities, two days off the platform removed the tweet and President Muhammadu Buhari who threatened to punish those who wanted to commit suicide. Nigerian telephone manufacturers have since banned access to Twitter.
The president denied that Twitter’s suspension was a response to his resignation.
“There have been a number of problems with the social networking site in Nigeria, where false news and false stories have had a devastating effect on the world,” Presidential spokesman Garba Shehu said in a statement.
Shehu said the removal of Buhari’s tweet was “disgraceful” and that “modern big companies should be living up to their responsibilities.”
Twitter has expressed its suspension “very deeply” and said it will help restore opportunities for all Nigerians who rely on the platform to connect and connect with the world.
More than 39 million Nigerians have a Twitter account, according to a NOI survey, public opinion and a research organization.
Foreign Minister Geoffrey Onyeama summoned ambassadors to a meeting held on Monday in the capital Abuja, the European Union and a number of countries after issuing a joint statement expressing their views on the Twitter ban.
“Prohibiting explanatory systems is not the answer,” the EU, US, Britain, Canada and Ireland said in a statement on Saturday.
The statement added that it was “a time when Nigeria should encourage dialogue and articulation, as well as share important information during the COVID-19 epidemic”.
International human rights organizations have also criticized the move, which followed a previous attempt by the government on television.
The “VPN app” was the second most popular search on Saturday on Google in Nigeria, as private networks could help Twitter users to overcome the ban.
Nigeria has warned, however, that it will prosecute the perpetrators.
“The Attorney General of the Federation and the Minister of Justice Abubakar Malami have ordered the immediate prosecution of those who have violated the government’s law on Twitter,” said Umar Jibrilu Gwandu.
The platform has played a key role in the country’s public discussion, with the hashtags #BringBackOurGirls after Boko Haram robbed 276 girls at school in 2014, and #EndSARS at anti-police protests last year.