The death toll from protests in Sudan has risen to 40 with the death of a teenager | Opposition Articles

[ad_1]
The teenager was injured and his wounds were shot in the head by demonstrations a few days earlier, bringing the protest to 40.
The death toll in Sudan’s anti-government protests since the military coup last month has risen to 40, paramedics say, after a teenager was shot in the head a few days ago.
Sudanese Prime Minister Abdel Fattah al-Burhan on October 25 announced the catastrophe, abolished the caretaker government and rebuilt civilian leadership.
The takeover of the military promoted a two-year transition into a general rule, criticizing and punishing more and more people around the world, and led to more protests.
Wednesday’s protest marked the deadliest day to date, with the death toll from the protests now reached 16, according to medical officials.
“One martyr died … seriously injured after being hit in the head and leg on November 17,” the Sudan Independent Medical Committee said on Saturday. He was 16 years old, he added.
Most of those killed Wednesday were in North Khartoum, across the Nile River from the capital, medical officials said. Hundreds were also injured during the riots, according to the committee.
Police in riot gear stormed a rally on Friday, removing hundreds of protesters by truck. He recorded just one death, amid protests in North Khartoum.
‘Cruelty and Lawlessness’
On Friday, small groups of protesters gathered in several areas after prayers against the coup, especially in North Khartoum, where people were seen building barricades across the streets. The guards fired tear gas from time to time to disperse them.
The United States on Friday condemned the deadly riot.
“We call on those who are violating human rights and violating human rights, including the use of excessive force by peaceful protesters, to respond,” State Department spokesman Ned Price said in a statement.
Washington said Sudanese people should “be free to express their views without fear of violence”, and called for the release of those detained since their abduction.
“Before the protests, we call on Sudanese officials to restrain themselves and allow peaceful protests,” he added.
Other international criticism of Wednesday’s crackdown included comments from United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights Michelle Bachelet, who said the use of weapons was “shameful”.
The European Union (EU) also condemned the riots, saying the ban should “not prevent the whole country from being informed of human rights abuses”.
The following Thursday, the SUNA news agency reported that internet and mobile phones were “slowly returning to normal telecommunications companies” after weeks of suspension.
Meanwhile, the Sudanese Professionals Association (SPA) has urged protesters to continue their campaign, with a report on Friday that troops “destroyed homes and mosques” north of Khartoum.
The SPA is an umbrella organization that sponsored several months of protests that ousted President Omar al-Bashir in April 2019.
Sudan has a long history of militant terrorists, who have favored a lack of democratic integration since independence in 1956.
Al-Burhan, a senior official, insists that the military move “was not a coup d’état” but part of a “reform process” as sectarian tensions and growing divisions between civilians and the military under the ousted government.
He has since announced the new governing body of the Armed Forces, retaining his position as leader, along with a powerful army officer, three senior officers, three former terrorist leaders and one civilian general.
But the other four were replaced by lesser ones.
[ad_2]
Source link



