World News

Australia agrees to delay Novak Djokovic’s deportation | Tennis stories

[ad_1]

The prosecutor said that Djokovic would not be detained until he had been questioned by officials entering and leaving on Saturday morning and that he would not be released until his trial.

Australia has delayed attempts to oust top men’s tennis player Novak Djokovic until his legal decision expires.

At an emergency meeting on Friday, state attorney Stephen Lloyd told a judge that Australia could not detain Djokovic before he had spoken to immigration officials and was released on Saturday morning and that he would not be fired before his trial.

Earlier on Friday, the Australian government fired a tennis player visa again which left Serbs facing the expulsion.

It added that Djokovic, who does not have a COVID-19 vaccine, could be at risk for the community.

Immigration Minister Alex Hawke used his discretion after the court overturned the earlier dismissal and was released on Monday.

“Today I have used my powers under section 133C (3) of the Migration Act to revoke the visa that Mr Novak Djokovic had for health and good order, because it was in the public interest to do so,” Hawke said. introduction Friday.

The government has “strongly committed to protecting the Australian border, especially in relation to the COVID-19 epidemic”.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison welcomed Djokovic’s expulsion, saying Australia had managed to die of the worst pandemics, the richest economy and the global vaccine risk because of its strong anti-virus policies.

“Australians are very committed to the epidemic and hope that the victims will be protected,” Morrison said in a statement. “That is what the minister is doing in doing this today.”

Djokovic’s release on the need for a vaccine for COVID-19 for competition was approved by the state of Victoria state and Tennis Australia, the competition organizers. Apparently, this helped him to obtain a visa for his trip.

But the Australian Border Force refused to be released and revoked his visa upon arrival in Melbourne.

He spent four days in jail before a judge on Monday commuted to life imprisonment.

On Thursday, Djokovic was included Australian Open Photography even doubts about his visa status.

Djokovic with him he admitted knowingly he tested himself with COVID-19 when he participated in newspaper interviews and photographs at his tennis court in Serbia last month, admitting he had “made a mistake” and would have resigned immediately.

The idea of ​​giving him the opportunity to travel to Melbourne to defend his Australian Open title sparked protests on television and criticism from other players, medical professionals and politicians.

The organizers of the Australian Open said Djokovic had requested no medical treatment “which was provided following a diagnostic procedure that included two different categories of medical professionals”.

However, following the announcement, former Australian Rules player Kevin Bartlett wrote that Australians were “considered stupid”.

Former player, Corey McKernan, wrote: “People with loved ones who are dying / others in need of immediate medical attention will not be able to enter their home country. do you get a ticket?

Many Australians, especially those in Melbourne who host the race, have been banned for the past two years.



[ad_2]

Source link

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button