World News

Freedom groups oppose Poland’s ban on media on the border with Belarus | Migration Issues

[ad_1]

Sokolka, Poland – Human rights groups have criticized the Polish government for continuing to block journalists, lawyers, and aid workers from entering the Belarussian border, while thousands of refugees and internally displaced people from Belarus are expected to cross Poland.

For two months now, no media professionals have been able to reach the Polish part of the border. As the interest of the media increases this week on escalating political conflicts, journalists could no longer approach the border posts of Poland.

Polish journalists and Reporters Without Borders, who say the bans are “random and inconsistent,” want the ban on media access to be removed so that accurate and transparent information can be published in the region.

About 3,000 to 4,000 refugees and internally displaced persons are camping on the Belarus side of the border with Poland after being refused entry into the EU. Human rights groups complained about their safety during the winter and a the number of deaths on both sides of the border.

The EU accuses Minsk of encouraging refugees and internally displaced persons to try to cross the bloc. in retaliation as a result of sanctions punishing the government of the President of Belarus Alexander Lukashenko for fighting dissent following the August 2020 elections that gave him the sixth President.

The resort takes up the length of the Polish-Belarusian border which is currently at risk until early December. Thousands of miles from the razor-sharp fences where thousands of Polish guards now line the streets, anyone driving in the area is dragged off the streets by soldiers and police. Journalists are said to be detained and only those who can provide proof of residency in a restricted area can enter.

Pavol Szalai, head of the European Union and Balkans desk at Reporters Without Borders (RSF), told Al Jazeera that it was important for journalists to be allowed to speak from the border.

“While it is legal for Polish government officials to report problems at the border for security reasons, the ban on pressures is limited and unlimited,” he said.

“Any prohibition against journalists operating on the border is inconsistent with Poland’s claim that the freedom of the press may be restricted by a legitimate cause and in accordance with that threat.”

Szalai added that at least two journalists have so far been charged with violating the ban on access to the area.

“Given the nature of the case, we have strongly criticized it and requested that it be dismissed. When the emergency is over on December 2, the RSF is reopening its call for Polish officials to lift all press freedom restrictions. Only when journalists are free to cover not only Polish news, but also the public interest in Europe, since the borders of Poland and Belarus are the Schengen borders. “

Earlier this week, Polish Prime Minister Mateusz Morawiecki said border journalists had just ruined the property by saying journalists “could cover the false stories of Belarus and Russia”.

Polish media have repeatedly opposed the ban. Mu a open letter written in September and signed by 30 national media organizations and media organizations that said the lack of opportunity went “contrary to the principle of free speech, and reflected the unrestricted restriction of journalists’ work and the crackdown on journalists”.

“An emergency situation, imposed by the government, across the Polish-Belarusian border, restricts the use of the media. “Our presence is a challenge for the government. This should raise objections.”

“Our ultimate goal is to achieve the freedom of the press to work in the community, to ensure that its values, especially those that are of human interest and are essential to democracy, reach the people.”

Journalists and civil rights groups have reported that the lack of reports from the Polish border has led to an increase in awareness.

“You are not fighting for Belarusian knowledge in research,” said Ricardo Gutiérrez, Secretary-General of the European Federation of Journalists.

“Instead, journalists should be allowed to report on the situation. We cannot allow the government to encourage such a ban on journalists in the event of a crisis. We hope that the emergency was initiated primarily to prevent people from witnessing suspicious activity along the Belarussian border. Opponents have accused Polish officials of violating international law by pushing refugees across borders. ”

Polish journalist Wojciech Bojanowski said on Twitter that the ban on Polish and international media outlets meant that claims made in Russian and Belarus media that Polish security forces were killing tearful children could not be justified or disproved.

Piotr Skrzypczak, of the Homo Faber Association, said the ban was detrimental to all communities, including journalists and lawyers and aid agencies who were trying to help refugees, who could face charges of entering the banned area.

“We know that once we enter the region, we could be exposed to serious crime,” he said.

“What we need is an independent and credible knowledge of the interests of the people at the border,” Szalai said. “This can be provided by independent media and experts. has shown itself to be difficult to provide reliable and consistent information. “



[ad_2]

Source link

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button