The World Health Organization (WHO) chief executive officer said the WHO would not force China to disclose its origins in COVID-19, adding that it would provide the necessary research to understand where the virus came from in the “next phase”.
Asked by a reporter how the WHO could “encourage” China to be open, Mike Ryan, director of the emergency’s emergency agency, said at a press conference that “WHO has no power to pressure anyone on this issue.”
“We look forward to the cooperation, support and support of all our countries in the organization,” Ryan said on Monday.
There is speculation that the virus jumped from animals, either from bats, to humans, or that it escaped to a laboratory in Wuhan, China.
The program of Theory of Wuhan’s lab has recently been made public after a number of prominent scientists have asked for more research into the causes of the virus.
The idea that the virus was accidentally released from the lab did not disregard scientists in the early stages of the coronavirus outbreak. China has repeatedly denied that the lab caused the explosion.
Members of the WHO team who went to China earlier this year in a search in which COVID-19 said they had not found much, sparking controversy over the country’s transparency.
Former US President Donald Trump and his aides have been plotting to assassinate China.
US Secretary of State Mike Mike Pompeo confirmed last year that there was “clear evidence” that the virus had originated in the lab, while it did not provide any evidence and acknowledged that there was no evidence.
‘A double plague’
In the meantime, the WHO director has called on the manufacturers of COVID-19 vaccines to give COVAX the first resistance to the new standards, or to give half of their volumes to WHO-sponsored work.
At a press conference, WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus complained of differences in COVID-19 vaccine which he said has created a “two-party epidemic” in which Western countries are protected and poor countries are exposed, and made special requests.
He also expressed his disappointment that a number of poor countries have failed to vaccinate health workers, the elderly and other people at high risk of COVID-19.
“In addition, we are seeing a two-pronged epidemic: many countries are still facing serious risks, while some of those with high levels of vaccines are beginning to discuss prevention,” Tedros told reporters, adding that the sharing of vaccines is needed to address the “major component of the COVID-19 epidemic.”
– World Health Organization (WHO) (@WHO) June 7, 2021
The WHO chief said that six months after the first coronavirus vaccine was given, high-income countries provided “about 44 percent of the world’s drugs.”
“Low-income countries provide only 0.4%. The saddest thing about this statistic is that it hasn’t changed in a few months. ”
Tedros has called for a major global effort to vaccinate at least 10 percent of the world’s population by September, and at least 30 percent by the end of the year.
This will require an additional 250 million doses by September, and 100 million doses in June and July alone.
“This week, G7 leaders are meeting at their annual general meeting,” Tedros said. “These seven countries have the potential to achieve this goal.
“I call on the G7 not only to volunteer to share the standards, but to volunteer to share them in June and July,” he said.
“I also urge all manufacturers to grant COVAX the first right to resist the new COVID-19 vaccine, or to contribute 50% of their volumes to COVAX this year.”
COVAX was set up to ensure a universal vaccine, especially in low-income countries, and has already provided over 80 million doses in 129 regions.
But that is about 200 million of the tests behind what they hope to be, says WHO.
For a vaccine to qualify for COVAX it must be approved by the WHO and given the opportunity for emergency use.
In the meantime, the UN medical agency has provided green light to vaccines manufactured by AstraZeneca, Johnson & Johnson, Moderna, Pfizer-BioNTech, Sinopharm and Sinovac.