Business News

Boris Johnson faces MPs as outrage escalates over the closing party

[ad_1]

Boris Johnson faced increasing pressure Wednesday to explain whether he attended a Downing Street party that violated coronavirus restrictions in a “make or break” appearance in the House of Commons.

Johnson will appear at the Prime Minister’s Office in the afternoon and will be asked by the MPs to explain his role at a meeting held on May 20 2020 in field No. 10, where guests were asked “bring your beer”. Two eyewitnesses said he had been present.

Johnson declined to comment on questions about his role in the party, citing research conducted by Thanks Gray, a senior government official who is conducting several meetings at Whitehall during the epidemic. But the minister’s refusal to explain his presence has caused outrage in the Conservative party.

Sir Keir Starmer, Labor leader, is expected to ask a number of “yes or no” questions about whether Johnson took part in the ceremony. Opposition leader, who has been corona virus for the last week, he was found not to have Wednesday and is allowed to isolate himself.

Pointing out the seriousness of the crisis that has befallen the government, no minister has been placed on morning radio to defend Johnson’s position.

Senior Tories said Johnson’s future depended on how he acted in parliament. “It’s a beautiful sight,” said one former MP. “If they understand these mistakes, they can be eliminated.”

Sir Ed Davey, leader of the Liberal Democrats, has called on the Prime Minister to step down. “Boris Johnson is no longer able to lead our country in terms of health problems. I think he is now a danger to national health because no one can do anything he says because he has now shown that he was a fraud.”

Angela Rayner, vice-president of Labor, said Johnson “could no longer hide” behind Gray’s investigation and should answer questions about the party. “Finally he must answer correctly and answer the question: did he break the closing rules that he ordered all of us to follow. Yes or No?”

Anger is growing within the Conservative party over Johnson’s presence at the event. Sixteen lawmakers have spoken out against the 10th party in the by-elections, with some saying the chances of a run-off are growing.

Christian Wakefield, Tory’s MP for Bury South, said he could not “defend the wrongdoing”. He wrote on Twitter that what was happening “is a disgrace and the worst thing is to lose confidence in politics when it is already down. We want more freedom, trust and loyalty in our politics than ever before and that starts at the top.”

Nigel Mills, MP for the history of the story, told the BBC, “the idea that at a very closed time – once you see one person – that the legislators are having a party is illegal. It is unprotected.”

Some government officials say the minister’s views are divided. “It is very different from the ones who think ‘hold on tight and it’ will be better ‘and’ those who are worried, ‘” said one assistant minister.

[ad_2]

Source link

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button