The Instagram executive wants the rules to protect children on social media

[ad_1]
The executive director of Instagram has called on an external regulator to establish rules for how social media companies protect children at a regional conference on how the platform affects young users.
Evidence from Adam Mosseri before a consumer protection committee in the US Senate Wednesday comes after revelations from a whistle-blower that Instagram covered a survey of platform damage especially for young girls.
In a written statement prepared for the case, Mosseri said: “We hope that there should be a business forum that will select the best solutions to at least three questions: how to determine age, how to create age-appropriate experiences, and how to do it. Establish parental advice.”
He also said that companies should lose their protection in criminal cases under Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act if they fail to comply.
The case is the first time Mosseri, a former company veteran and close lieutenant Mark Zuckerberg, a senior Meta, has been on fire since. lawmakers.
It comes just weeks after a bipartisan coalition of U.S. Attorney General announced an investigation into how Facebook monitors and engages young people on its Instagram platform and the harm it can cause.
Appearing on the Meta photo sharing program, the recently updated parent company Facebook, is following up on Sister Frances Haugen’s claims that the company covered up research on how the program affects the mental health of young people, despite repeated political demands. sharing his knowledge of the subject.
Haugen shared documents published by journalists, editors and Congress, along with internal reports showing that Instagram has the potential to raise the concerns of young girls in body image.
Facebook has strongly denied Haugen’s claim that it deliberately terminated the investigation for obvious reasons, citing certain aspects of the user profile, arguing that the image is unconstitutional.
Individually, the UK is pursuing a risky interest rate online with child safety coverage in the media, adding to the pressure on Meta, which relied on Instagram especially as a growing driver as its main Facebook platform lost interest in western markets.
Earlier in the day, Instagram on Tuesday announced new security tools for young users, including reminders for teens to take a break from the program, and give parents the opportunity to observe their children’s time wasting and adjusting time. limits accordingly.
Meanwhile, some lawmakers and child protection groups have been pushing for Meta to abandon plans to launch Instagram Kids, a type of program for children under 13, arguing that it was designed to make children fall in love with television at an early age. and begin to collect their data.
Mosseri has previously said that the program will be free of ads and gives parents the ability to control what their children see, providing a safer alternative than before. In September, Meta suspended plans to launch the Children’s program to include numerous comments from security groups and lawmakers, but did not abandon its plans altogether.
[ad_2]
Source link



