Business News

Juul pays $ 40m to end what North Carolina youths say they are going on

[ad_1]

North Carolina has become the first country in the United States to break up with Juul over its company’s campaign to distribute cigarettes among teenagers.

Juul will pay $ 40m and make “significant changes to his practice” as part of the deal, according to a report Monday from the office of Josh Stein, North Carolina’s attorney general.

“For years, Juul has been beating young people, including teenagers, with his cigarette. It has set fire to a dangerous epidemic among our children – which you can see at every North Carolina high school,” Stein said.

Juul helped promote the use of e-cigarettes instead of traditional cigarettes, but has been found to have made people more likely to use cigarettes among young people by encouraging them to advertise to them, and failed to warn of the dangers.

In addition to North Carolina, a number of attorneys at 13 and the District of Columbia also sued Juul for their products, including California and New York. The 39-nation group last year announced a study based on Juul’s efforts to sell.

Juul said in a statement that the establishment in North Carolina “is in line with our continued efforts to establish our company and its relationships with our partners, as we continue to fight the exploitation of the underprivileged and improve opportunities for smokers.”

As part of his contract, Juul is paying $ 40m over six years to pay for cigarettes and alcohol, as well as other research.

Juul has also pledged to change its approach in the country to avoid attracting young people, including any advertising that encourages people under the age of 21 as well as strict and strict restrictions on online and in-store marketing.

In recent years, Juul has faced some political challenges and regular monitoring on advertising and health effects on its products. According to someone familiar with this, the legal crisis was the reason why the tobacco group PMI in 2019 left the negotiations for a combined $ 200bn with rival Altria, who paid $ 12.8bn at a 35% discount in Juul at the end of 2018.

Following the conclusion of the interview, Juul he reorganized his leadership, and Altria, the manufacturer of Marlboro cigarettes, was later forced to spend billions of dollars on its sales.

A 2020 global youth tobacco survey, conducted by US drug regulators and the world’s leading agency, found that of the approximately 4.47m young smokers, “3.4m high teens” were using e- cigarettes. However, there were fewer than 1.8m young U.S. users using electronic cigarettes compared to 2019.

[ad_2]

Source link

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button