Business News

A top NY official is adding to Trump’s business investigation

[ad_1]

The New York attorney general extended his investigation into the Donald Trump business case, offering subpoenas to the two eldest children of the president in addition to the former producer.

Letitia James presented the subpoena to Donald Trump, Ivanka Trump and Donald Trump Jr. last month, according to court documents filed in the New York Supreme Court on Monday. A spokesman from his office said investigators “wanted to swear an oath” to all three relatives.

The court’s ruling stated that the subpoena was issued “in connection with an investigation into the valuation of property owned by Donald J Trump or the Trump Organization”. James’ investigator believes he looks like Donald Trump increased the value of his property for other reasons – say, getting a bank loan or insurance – and reducing it when it comes to paying taxes.

The new report, dated December 30, revealed that the former President’s lawyers and his older children wanted to prevent James’ staff from asking questions as part of the investigation.

“Even if they try to delay our investigation by the Trump Organization, we are confident that our questions will be answered and the truth will be known because no one is above the law,” the attorney general’s spokesman said.

Subpoena comes after James in September he signs that more cases are expected to come from a three-year investigation into his office on Donald Trump’s business.

“I can assure you that the investigation is still ongoing. Therefore, be vigilant,” he said.

Subpoena requests were made during the critical period of the investigation, which came at a time when Cyrus Vance, a Manhattan district attorney, who in July with James had unveiled them. 15-number of cases against the Trump Organization and its former chief financial officer, Allen Weisselberg.

Vance, who did not run for re-election in November, was replaced by Alvin Bragg, a former attorney general who swore on New Year’s Day.

Legal experts say the anti-Weisselberg case was seen as part of an attempt to force him to testify against Trump in a Manhattan-New York State investigation. Weisselberg protested. Donald Trump has denied the charge as a “political witch hunt” perpetrated by his Democratic opponents.

The Trump Organization, a spokesman for the former President and a lawyer representing his children did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Additional reports by James Politi

[ad_2]

Source link

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button