World News

Former Senator Joseph arrested for assassination of Haitian President | Stories

[ad_1]

Jamaican police say John Joel Joseph, suspected of assassinating Haitian President Jovenel Moise, has been arrested.

Jamaican government officials arrest a former Haitian senator who was suspected of killing a Haitian man President Jovenel Moise in July, Jamaican state police said.

Jamaica Constabulary Force spokesman Dennis Brooks told Reuters that John Joel Joseph, a well-known Haitian politician who had been cited by government officials as suspected of killing Moise, had been arrested on Friday.

Brooks has not commented on whether the arrest follows a request from the US Federal Bureau of Investigation, which is also investigating the murder. It is also unknown where Joseph was arrested in Jamaica.

Meanwhile, Jamaican Police Superintendent Stephanie Lindsay told the Associated Press that other people had been arrested along with Joseph and that authorities were trying to determine if they were relatives.

Lindsay said he was arrested early Saturday morning and did not elaborate.

“For a number of reasons, we do not share much,” he said.

Among those who responded to the arrests was Claude Joseph, a former Haitian foreign minister who served as caretaker prime minister after Moses’ assassination.

“The arrest of John Joel Joseph shows that there will be no place for those who are directly or indirectly affected,” he wrote on Twitter, noting that the global work he started continues to bear fruit.

Joseph is the second arrested in Jamaica. In late October, Jamaican authorities arrested former Colombian soldier Mario Antonio Palacios.

He was recently released from the United States and is awaiting a court hearing case is a conspiracy to kill or kidnap people outside the US and provide physical assistance that is fatal, knowing or suspecting that such assistance will be used to plan or carry out a murder or robbery plot.

Terrorists armed with assault rifles raided the secret house of Moise in the mountains above Port-au-Prince on July 7 and fired shots, prompting hundreds of people to search and search several countries in Latin America and the Caribbean.

More than 40 people, including 18 former Colombian soldiers, have been arrested in connection with the Moise attack wife was injured.

Colombian government officials say many of the veterans have been deceived and do not know about the actual operation. The military, which remains incarcerated in Haiti, is criticizing government officials for the abuse, while the Colombian government recently reported that the country’s ambassador to Haiti was threatened after he tried to provide aid.



[ad_2]

Source link

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button