World News

‘State terror’: Report backs ICC probe of Duterte’s drug war | Human Rights Issues

[ad_1]

With tears in his eyes, Llore Pasco would still wonder if he had managed to protect his children, Crisanto, a father of four and a guard, and Juan Carlos, a treasurer and temporary worker.

More than four years have passed since their relatives left their home village of Metro Manila on May 11, 2017. Earlier that morning, Crisanto had risen early to seek the guard’s permission, never to return. By noon, Llore’s family began to worry about realizing that Juan Carlos had disappeared.

Their concerns were shattered when they heard on television that the brothers had died. Reports say he was killed during a police operation following a robbery near his home in Quezon City, the capital of the Philippines.

Llore immediately thinks it’s playing badly. His doubts grew when he realized that his children were shooting more than a dozen guns, in addition to their foreheads.

Llore admits that his children had used drugs and had become involved with the “wrong group”.

But it was many years ago before President Rodrigo Duterte took office, he said. This even surrendered to the authorities at the beginning of the President’s anti-drug campaign in 2016. Contrary to his sons’ claims, he insisted on going to the village chief, because he “had no place to hide”.

“Sometimes, I still wonder if it was all my fault,” she said, her voice breaking.

It takes another week and $ 1,500 for Llore to restore their bullet-proof bodies.

“I really love my sons … the pain doesn’t go away,” Llore said, referring to the “respect” his family experienced.

Llore’s evidence was merged with evidence and other evidence that human rights group, INVESTIGATOR PH, wants to go to the International Criminal Court (ICC), which has launched an initial investigation into what the President calls a “drug war” following the deaths of thousands. many. Llore had previously testified at the ICC.

Investigation PH is one of the human rights activists supporting the summons by ICC state attorney Fatou Bensouda who recently retired for the Hague Court to consider. “murder charges” committed in the war of Duterte on drugs.

The families of the victims are on August 13 to submit to the ICC additional documents documenting the alleged violations of the rights of Duterte.

On Wednesday, Llore said at least eight families from his group are giving additional evidence to the ICC.

On Thursday, he told Al Jazeera that at least 30 other families had expressed interest in complaining, and that 26 families had come to their meeting Wednesday night. The next step is for the volunteers to visit the families in their homes and help them prepare their legal documents.

Duterte ‘offender’

Recent government reports indicate that by the end of April 2021, police and security forces had killed at least 6,117 suspected drug dealers in the workplace, although figures from the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights showed that more than 8,600 had already been killed since March 2020.

A police report in the Philippines in 2017 also stated that the “16 murder cases under investigation” are 16,355 as part of the “accomplishments” in the war on drugs.

In December 2016, Al Jazeera also reported that more than 6,000 people had died in the war on drugs. He asked The inconsistency of the presidential record system and possible “interference” of data.

Human rights groups estimate that the number of victims killed could be less than 27,000, including those killed by “unknown” criminals, some of whom were found. police.

The PH investigation said in a statement to Al Jazeera that it also wants the United Nations Human Rights Council to take action and ensure that Duterte is “charged with a crime” which is supported by his many words “kill drug users and protesters”.

The human rights group said the Philippine government itself should be held accountable for “thousands of cases of murder, theft and disappearance” among other human rights abuses.

Since Duterte’s war on drugs began in mid-2016, Philippine Chief of Police Guillermo Eleazar says cases have been reduced by 59% [File: Ted Regencia/Al Jazeera]

Duterte and his superiors have defended police tactics, saying there is “speculation”. even the President has publicly stated that he is urging the police to “kill” the suspects.

Responding to a question posed by Al Jazeera at a recent online conference, Philippine police chief General Guillermo Eleazar said in the last five years in control of Duterte, violent crime has been reduced by 59% – many of them said to be linked to drug trafficking.

“I have seen with my own eyes the devastation of drugs… and now everyone can agree that our communities are safe. While it is true that it is not good for us, we have won, “said Eleazar, a former police officer in the Metro Manila government earlier in Duterte’s tenure.

In five years, more than 290,000 suspected drug addicts have been arrested and nearly two percent have died, Eleazar said. He said all the victims had clashed with the authorities and promised to investigate cases of abuse.

But Eleazar admits that the alcohol crisis in the Philippines has not been resolved as it progresses. Many of the “big time” drug users, many of whom are “out of the country”, have not been arrested, he said.

Among those known is the so-called “drug dealer” Peter Lim, who has been photographed several times alongside Duterte. Earlier this month, authorities said it was possible that Lim had already left the country despite having a 2018 trial on drug-related charges.

‘Torture image’

PH investigator says that despite the pressure from foreign countries, Philippine police have refused to convert murder files to the justice department according to the law. A recent request was rejected last month, according to the group.

The “shortage” of so-called abusers, the police’s attempts to “cover up frequent killings in anti-drug gangs”, and the “threats” to families and potential witnesses only lead to more violence and “government terrorism” under the control of supervisors. of Duterte, the report said.

The report states that “systemic killings” that were made under the auspices of the president’s war on drugs are now turning into an image of other atrocities such as Pursuing known enemies Duterte officials, including political opponents, church workers and freedom fighters.

The report also criticized government forces for failing to distinguish between Muslims and civilians over the “war on terror” on the southern island of Mindanao, which has forced Muslims to evacuate.

ANALYSIS PH also seeks to “answer to the problem and end injustice” in the Philippines, says Australian Senator Janet Rice, who is a member of an independent human rights committee.

“Throughout this investigation, we have remained steadfast in our work of judging cases committed in violation of human rights in the Philippines,” Rice said.

The ICC is expected to make its decision in mid-August if it continues its investigation into Duterte’s war on drugs.

‘The war on drugs’

Observers say the ICC investigation is likely to continue in the next phase.

Former Congressman and People’s Attorney Neri Colmenares says British lawyer Karim Khan, who replaced Bensouda as ICC judge, already knows the war on drugs in the Philippines.

“I don’t see any reason why he should have a problem with research. Their knowledge of what is happening here, as well as other human rights and war crimes cases around the world is immense, “Colmenares told a recent online conference.

Colmenares also said that despite Duterte’s war on drugs, “it is clear that his mind has failed”.

“Of all the deaths that result from the war on drugs, have we solved the problem of drugs? Are we better off as a nation now? Corruption is still rampant, drug trafficking is rampant and cases are still rampant. It is clear that he has failed, and that President Duterte is incompetent, “Colmenares told Al Jazeera.

According to human rights groups, at least 27,000 people died in the war on Duterte in drug trafficking, including those killed by unknown gunmen, some of whom recruited. [File: Ted Regencia/Al Jazeera]

Duterte officials have denied the ICC’s actions as “political”.

Respondent spokesman Harry Roque says the Philippine government will not support The Hague’s efforts, in light of the President’s decision to withdraw from its membership at the ICC in 2019.

Duterte himself announced in June that they do not participate in a legal debate at the ICC, threatening to “beat” court judges while calling the international organization a “cow ** t”.

But former University of the Philippines College of Law Dean Pacifico Agabin warns that the rules of Duterte have not been disciplined and could be retaliated, as it will only shorten the time for the ICC to review the case and go to trial, while the court may also issue a warrant of arrest.

“As president [Duterte] they will not take part, so the research will continue very quickly, “Agabin told a conference online.

By taking part in the investigation, Duterte and his lawyers will be given time to review the evidence presented and question the inconsistencies they may find, and to advance the work, a respected legal expert said.

Tony La Vina, headmaster of the Ateneo School of Government in Manila, acknowledged that the Duterte group had been advised to take part in the ICC investigation. “They have a better chance of appearing, rather than just appearing.”

Participating in the investigation, however, Duterte’s supervisors will also need to allow ICC investigators to travel to the Philippines and conduct their own investigations.

But even without Duterte’s agreement, it could take time for the ICC to continue to try and convict La Vina, citing previous cases in Kosovo and Rwanda.

“But the long hand of law and justice reaches out to you in another way. And sometimes, it’ll just be history that makes that judgment. But still judged. ”

While awaiting ICC verdict, Llore, the mother of Crisanto and Juan Carlos, said the torture continued to hurt her.

Last March, an elder visited Crisanto’s home in search of Juan Carlos. Local officials reportedly came to tell the couple that Juan Carlos had “already been drugged,” Llore said, slapping him in the face.

Looking forward to a lengthy trial, Llore says he is ready to wait for justice to be served.

The only hope is that one day we will find justice, which gives me enough strength to deal with the war. Duterte will be held accountable for all his actions. ”



[ad_2]

Source link

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button