The leader of the terrorists is charged with sedition on January 6

[ad_1]
Stewart Rhodes, founder and leader of the Oath Keepers terrorist group, has been charged with sedition. January 6 attack at the US Capitol, which shows a sharp rise in federal investigations into riots led by Donald Trump supporters.
The charges are part of a series of lawsuits filed by the Ministry of Justice on Thursday that accuse 11 of plotting to overthrow the government and other charges related to the Capitol siege that disrupted Joe Biden’s election manifesto and left five people dead.
The first charges are against Rhodes, who was arrested Thursday in Little Elm, Texas, on January 6. Another defendant, Edward Vallejo, was also charged and arraigned for the first time in connection with the riots. The remaining nine opponents were already facing various charges of conspiracy.
The Justice Department described the Oath Keepers as “a large but unorganized group of people, some of whom are associated with terrorists”.
The lawsuit alleges that after the November 2020 election, Rhodes conspired with the defendants to “strongly oppose compliance with the rules relating to the transfer of the presidency”, in conjunction with a trip to Washington to obtain a visa. the result of the elections is the willingness to bring in resources to support their efforts, among others.
The release of the verdict is a major part of DoJ’s investigation into the January 6 attack, just one week after the first day of the riots.
U.S. Attorney General Merrick Garland last week vowed to answer on January 6 the offenses “at any rate”, and defended the work of his department against those involved. Progressives criticized the DoJ for not acting aggressively enough to follow Trump and his supporters.
Garland said more than 725 defendants had already been charged in connection with the attack, and said more serious cases were yet to come.
“In severe cases, the first cases are usually less than the first case,” Garland said, adding: “What we have done so far is not final.”
The DOJ investigation is being conducted in contrast to a conference investigation led by a group of members of the US House of Representatives.
The January 6 committee, led by Democrats and counts only two Republicans among its factions, has asked for evidence from Trump officials in their quest to find out more about the plot and the last days of his presidency.
Steve Bannon, Trump’s close friend, was defendant in November by the Supreme Court for contempt of Congress after failing to comply with a committee recommendation. The former president has said prosecuted a committee with the US National Archives to prevent the release of documents relating to its final weeks in office.
In a recent intervention, the committee on Tuesday said it would request more information from Kevin McCarthy, Republican chief of staff at the House of Representatives. McCarthy indicated that he would not be taking part in the study voluntarily, setting up a system for public consultation in the coming weeks.
[ad_2]
Source link



